Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2008, 08:58 AM
Rookie

Default more fans on rad = better temps?

this may be a newb question, but say you expect one 360mm rad to cool a lot of components. would strapping 6 fans on it (3 on each side) give you much better temps than just 3 fans? do you think it would it justify the cost of at least $30 in getting 3 additional good fans?
Old October 28, 2008, 09:00 AM
MVP

It depends on which fans and configuration. Usually, having the fans in a push/pull method with a shroud in both sides give the best results but we are talking about improvement of 1-2C at most. The key here is to make sure you use 6 identical fans.

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old October 28, 2008, 09:03 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

It all depends, If your current rad can get the water back to ambient temp then more wont help. After gaming for a few hours does the water get quite warm? Do the temps keep climbing over time or do they hit a max and stay there under load? And the push pull config may not even help either. Another rad would be better.
Old October 28, 2008, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

It could help, but it depends on your particular situation as to how much it will help. If your rad is getting the water down to close to ambient then no, if it isn't then yes it might have an impact though probably only a couple/few degrees as mentioned. Either way adding more rad is more efficient than adding more fan.

FWIW, on my setup I have a single 86 chevette HC for the CPU loop. In recent tests the difference between a full speed NF-P12 and then using the ULN adapter made a whopping 0.7C difference after 2 hours of Orthos. I still need to test the same with the GPU loop as it is a higher demand loop.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old October 28, 2008, 08:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

Assuming you use the same fans, it will help. How much is a whole seperate question. If you have a rad that has a high fin densitiy such as a Black Ice GTX, adding more fans will help overcome the pressure and give you a better result than on a Thermochill. Also, if you are using low speed fans such as Yate Loons or NF-P12s, you'll probably get a larger difference than if you have higher pressure 38mm fans. If you are using low speed fans (<1500RPM), you can switch them to a pull configuration and add a shroud about 30mm deep and you will get temperatures very close to that of push/pull with regular fans. If you are using ones with >2000RPM, push with a shroud is best. 1500-2000RPM doesn't really matter, but a shroud will help. Personally, I'd go with 6 low speed fans in push/pull as its very quiet (sound pressure doesnt add together linearly, so each added fan doesn't mage a huge impact) and it also gives you the best performance without using a ton of space with fan|shroud|rad|shroud|fan.
Old October 30, 2008, 08:10 PM
Top Prospect

I went with some low to medium 38 mm fans. 1000 rpm, variable, down to 8 volts
Since I have an Abit board, UGuru looks after all my fan speedsBoth fans are plugged into a mobo header, based on cpu temp.

38mm fans move a lot of air, and they're a pain to mount. Worth it though.

I just put together my new "Lightweight Loop"
CPX pro, Runs at 5 volts and has cold started every timeI love this pump
D-tek V2, best block ever made, period. (I Havn't really seen the new Swiftech GTZ)
HWL 240 Xtreme, FU^%$k'in thing leaks like a sieve. I had to use teflon tape on the barb threads to stop it from leaking. IT STILL LEAKS Only the HWL 240 Rad
Ohh, good times ahead

WC Loop: DD Cpx-Pro | HWL 240 Xtreme | D-Tek V2
Old November 13, 2008, 09:11 AM
Rookie

if you are using a 360 rad i would use 6 120 mm thermaltake (RED) fans 67 CFM in a push pull setup it will make a big difference give it a try