Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2008, 08:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Question Barb Question

I recently redid my loop using bitpower dark nickel finished 1/2 g1/4 barbs..... I loved the look but had a very minor leak on my northbridge. The BP barbs use a short thread and I am firmly convinced that the stress from the tight bend from the cpu to nb was the culprit. So drained it replaced with a set of dtek and DD I had initially, leak tested, fine, no problems.

Now I am looking for some new barbs and think 45 degree barbs in my future but was wondering if any member had exp. with these:

Feser Rotary Compression Fitting G1/4 Thread - 1/2in ID - 3/4in OD - High Flow

they look like they have the same length of threads as the BP but I am hoping the bend in the fitting will take some of the stress off.

There is also these bitpower but they come fitting free, BUT they swivel which might be the better answer in the long run.

Bitspower Shining Silver Rotary 45 G 1/4 Threads # BP-45-R

Bitspower 1/2in. Compression Fittings for 3/4in. OD Tubing

And while I have your attention I am looking for carbon fiber vinyl for a case mod.
I found this :

DECALFX.com! CARBON3 VINYL! Carbon Fiber Hyper Black Looks Realistic with WEAVES! Low cost, high quality vinyl film overlay sheets! Textured for hoods, custom interior dash trim moulding!

but was wondering if anyone else had other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 20, 2008, 09:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Feser ones swivel as well.

I've got a bunch of the BP ones on the way (waiting for Linus to get his stock in and flip my order on to me) so I could let you know once they get here.

I think you'll start to see them pop up at XS now, since Gary at Sidewinder has been shipping since last Monday.
Old October 21, 2008, 05:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

WRT the original barbs you had.....

I had major leaking issues with the Primochill "ghost" barbs because of the short threads, and small o-ring. After trying just about everything to get them to work, I found that replacing the O-ring with something beefier (hardware stores have o-rings in their "parts bins"), and using "Great White Pipe Joint Compound" on the threads solved the issues. I held off on using thread sealer until the last option as I didn't think I should have to use it (didn't need it with any other barbs), but since it did work for these barbs, it might do the job for the ones you currently have.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 21, 2008, 05:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I thought about replacing the oring but if I go with anything beefier I was worried that the added thickness would just shorten the thread length even more.

I think tonight I am going to pick up 4 of the bp and 2 of the fester, you can never have to many right?

So does anyone know where to find some carbon fiber vinyl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 21, 2008, 05:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
WRT the original barbs you had.....

I had major leaking issues with the Primochill "ghost" barbs because of the short threads, and small o-ring. After trying just about everything to get them to work, I found that replacing the O-ring with something beefier (hardware stores have o-rings in their "parts bins"), and using "Great White Pipe Joint Compound" on the threads solved the issues. I held off on using thread sealer until the last option as I didn't think I should have to use it (didn't need it with any other barbs), but since it did work for these barbs, it might do the job for the ones you currently have.
Glad to see somebody else had issues with the Primochill ghost barbs. Though I didn't bother modifying it and just replaced them with BP fittings and I've had no leaks since but I don't have any really tight bends.

I think the 45 fitting would help and from what I read on XS about them, it's mainly for the exact purpose you want, to reduce the tension on the fitting.