Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2008, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashock View Post
I am not having any issues with my fans but if its only a 0.7 difference in temps Biff i think ill put all 6 of mine on the lowest rpm.
Might as well try it and see what you get. YMMV since every bit of data I've seen suggest automotive HC (at least the '86 chevette) are pretty damn good, just a bit of a PITA to put to good use, i.e. requires shrouds/barbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashock View Post
One Coolermaster fan was louder then 6 of my Noctua's i could clearly hear the whine when i replaced it with a thermaltake fan i had it was back to quiet.
Are you saying you had the whine with the Noctuas too but not the standard fans? I'm not sure if it's a warranty issue or not, they added those notches to the blades specifically to change the sound signature of the fan - I just happen to not like that sound. Could be the specific situation they are in too as I didn't notice that whine when testing the fan before I installed it.

Not sure what to say about the CM fans. Could be they get there fans from different sources and then just slap their sticker on it so what one person gets isn't the same as what another person gets. Either way though they are VERY quiet at the reduced RPM. With my system running I can hear the hum of a 80mm PSU fan in the computer in the next room so noise output from my system is very minimal.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old November 11, 2008, 01:30 AM
Rookie

Biff,

May I ask you what the NCIX SKU you bought your Nocturna? Reason is there appears to be a few variations.

Also, how did you orient your Nocturna? I read somewhere that sleeves don't act too well if in horizontal position as opposed to ball bearing counterpart.

Something to check?
Old November 11, 2008, 08:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have 6 Noctua's in my 900, and you can't hear the things at all.

One thing that 99% of people overlook is acoustics with fans, I'll offer some insight here.

Try staggering the speeds of your fans: If you have a half dozen fans all operating at the same speed they will generate similar acoustics and then you will have a build up in a specific frequency range - it may not sound like much but it can be just enough to make them audible and annoying.

So if you have 6 fans try and set them to slightly different speeds to alter their acoustics and see if you can soften their acoustic build. IE: Make fan 1 - 18%, 2 - 20%, 3 - 22% and so on instead of all of them at 20%
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.