Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2008, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Got algae!!

I notice I got some algae in one of my loops. I'm going to be taking it apart to clean er up and make a change or two. I'm not really worried about the whole cleaning process, scrub the blocks, probably replace tubing for the price of it, but I'm not sure what to do with my micro-res'. I can't open them up to clean them and they're acrylic so they can get marked up pretty easy, plus I don't want to subject them to any nasty chemicals in case it clouds them up. Anyone have a nifty ideas on how to clean these?
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old September 22, 2008, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

you may want to think about using more biocide like PT Nuke to prevent that.
Old September 22, 2008, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Whatever you do, don't put alcohol on acrylic.
Old September 22, 2008, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
you may want to think about using more biocide like PT Nuke to prevent that.
Thanks Professor! j/k

I used a homemade biocide which is the same as PT nuke, but obviously not enough. I was using distilled and the copper sulphate. One loop is fine but the other has started to go. It's the loop for my video maybe it being warmer might have made the difference. This time I think I'll go back to a touch of gool ol' glycol. I wanted to use some G11 just cause it's blue but can't find small quanities locally (Audi dealership will only sell 1 gallon) and I don't feel like ordering it out of the states (from Petras), I wouldn't want the UV dyes anyway. So I guess green it is... or maybe I'll try the pretty pink stuff! LOL
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old September 24, 2008, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

As it turns out it wasn't algae but corrosion! I find it strange that one loop is crystal clear and the other loop went skunky and the only difference is the block used. One loop has a DD maze5 and the other a DTek fusion... weird. The inside of the maze was a lovely forest green. Everything cleaned up well and at least I'm in the 'putting back together' mode.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old September 24, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow.. Pics?
Old September 25, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Sorry no pics. But Wait. It gets better!

I cleaned and rebuilt the GPU loop and left the cpu loop alone. Wanting to avoid this happening to the CPU loop though I did drain it and refill it with plain water to flush over night while leak testing the GPU loop. I drained out the top of the micro-res so no connections were touched. In the morning the GPU loop was confirmed leak proof but I'd lost a half a res worth on the CPU loop and was almost running the pump dry. WTF!? I found the rad was dripping wet. F'n Hell!! I thought during the work I must've dinged the core or something (though it still looked pristine) but I pulled that loop apart to find the leak and hopefully be able to solder it up. I drained and submerged the rad with hoses on so I could put some air into it and follow the bubbles... nothing. I then put the hose on the tap to run water through it and look for a damp spot figuring maybe its a crack or something and will slowly wick out... nothing. I plugged one tube and subjected the rad to pressure (what ever a thumb plugged tube is, maybe 20 - 30psi?) untill the tube blew off the faucet which was a hose adapter with a 5/8" barb so it was a tight fit.... still nothing!

This is probably the worst thing that can happen because I'll probably put it all back together and it won't leak and I'll be checking it 5 times a day for months!!
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old September 25, 2008, 10:47 PM
Banned

u could replace ur water loop. lol
Old September 25, 2008, 10:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

How much copper sulphate did you add to the solution? I know copper sulphate is used for etching brass, which is what the tubes of your rad are probably made of. Any chance that a spot was weakened by an over-concentrated mixture (even though your pressure test came up nil)? PT_Nuke is two drops/litre max, remember.
Old September 26, 2008, 12:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by oksir View Post
u could replace ur water loop. lol

Have you seen Biff's loop on the Cosmos case its mint just right with all those parts it matches.

Sucks btw Biff thats sooo odd. But dont worry i keep an eye on my computer since the first day i been watercooling lol i dont mind know im always impressed at how much ive learned over the past year thanks to you guys!!
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.