Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2008, 08:43 AM
Rookie

Default Effect of Pump on Temps

Hi,

I've been watercooling for several months now, and when I compare my temperatures to high-end air-cooling, I don't feel fully satisfied (except when I look at the neatness of watercooling vs. having fans everywhere). The reason is that my temperatures seem to be quite high for my CPU.

This is my loop:
pump --> 360mm rad --> Q6600 @ 3.2ghz (Swiftech Storm Block) --> 240mm rad --> 8800gtx (Dangerden Block) --> 8800 gtx (Dangerden Block) -->

These are my specs:
Q6600
EVGA 780i
OCZ PC2-8500 4x 1GB w/ OCZ memory cooler
2x 8800GTX in SLI
Vista Ultimate 64-Bit

The addition of the 240mm rad was pretty new (I got it for cheap, thought I'd try it out) but didn't really add any benefits to the temps. And my GPUs are pretty chilly at 40C-45C (I like this).

Now, my CPU is running at low 60s - low 70s on full load, with only 1.34V being put into it. I've suspected that the contact between the heatsink and the CPU might've been the culprit... always trying to tighten the bolts and press down on the Storm block, but the Storm is nice and flat, and I lapped my Q6600 (the lap is nice and flat) as well.... applying thermal paste isn't an issue either, it's been placed pretty evenly, thinly, and well.

The only thing I can think of is that the pump may not be up-to-par. It's a 12V one but only about 600L/h. I just wanted to know if the pump may have any effect on the high temps of my CPU. Would getting a better pump reduce my temps? I can get 3.6ghz with <1.5V on the CPU but the temps just go too high to make it feasible. Please give me your input, thanks!
Old September 11, 2008, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Badly mismatched waterblock to the CPU, is my guess. The Storm design is optimized for single-core, bare-die CPU's, whereas you've got a quad-core, IHS CPU. Furthermore, the Storm is an old-style impingement design, which relies heavily on high pressure to create turbulence to do the cooling.

You don't say which pump you're using, but I suspect that it's probably a little weak for a loop involving the Storm block, which is a highly restrictive design. Your best bet would probably be to swap out the block for a newer design such as the D-Tek Fuzion v2 (don't bother with the quad-insert) or the Swiftech GTZ, which are both much better suited for quad-cores, and are also less restrictive.
Old September 11, 2008, 09:15 AM
Banned
F@H

What he ^^ said.

Old September 11, 2008, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Badly mismatched waterblock to the CPU, is my guess. The Storm design is optimized for single-core, bare-die CPU's, whereas you've got a quad-core, IHS CPU. Furthermore, the Storm is an old-style impingement design, which relies heavily on high pressure to create turbulence to do the cooling.

You don't say which pump you're using, but I suspect that it's probably a little weak for a loop involving the Storm block, which is a highly restrictive design. Your best bet would probably be to swap out the block for a newer design such as the D-Tek Fuzion v2 (don't bother with the quad-insert) or the Swiftech GTZ, which are both much better suited for quad-cores, and are also less restrictive.
Wouldn't have worded it as much but yes he definitely needs a new block.
Old September 11, 2008, 09:41 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post

Wow thanks for the detailed analysis. I'm lookin into the Swiftech GTZ, but scheisse, this thing is like $70+tax. That's like the price of the MCP655! Anyone know where I can get it cheaper?
Old September 11, 2008, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You could try to find it used here, but the only one that is currently for sale is a D-tek Fusion V1. Not sure about the erelative preformance of the V1 vs the V2. Someone can help on taht subject ?

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old September 11, 2008, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm...I've been thinking about selling my Fuzion V1 and going for something that would fit compression barbs. If I decide to go for it, I'll let you know.
Old September 11, 2008, 11:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
You could try to find it used here, but the only one that is currently for sale is a D-tek Fusion V1. Not sure about the erelative preformance of the V1 vs the V2. Someone can help on taht subject ?
Basically if you have the money to spend on the v2 and want to upgrade go ahead. But as it is now the V1 is still a great block.
Old September 15, 2008, 09:10 PM
Rookie

UPDATE:

Thanks a lot for all of your responses, I bought a D-tek Fuzion V1 off someone here. It was exactly as you guys said... the CPU block was the limiting factor mostly and I'm very satisfied with my results now.

Before: Q6600 @ 3.2ghz with Swiftech Storm Rev. 2 --> Full load temps = high 60s/low 70s

After: Q6600 @ 3.6ghz with D-Tek Fuzion V1 --> Full load temps = low-mid 50s

I may think about getting a better pump but probably not for awhile, I'm more than satisfied with these results.

I'd like to thank all of you who replied to my post and gave me some helpful and prompt advice!!

Last edited by RA3KW0N; September 15, 2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old September 15, 2008, 11:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

RA3Kwon what pump are u using ? There is a Swiftech 655 on sale lcdguy is selling it in the buy/sell for 45 i believe, a very good price. If its an old pump id suggest getting a new one with more reliability better safe then sorry right..
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.