Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2008, 11:01 PM
Top Prospect

Default Gigabyte 'Gamer Hud' able to modded for other GPU's?

Gigbytes Gamer Hud technology that lets you adjust Voltages on your GPU's Core by way of adjusting a slider is a very nice feature that needs to used more often.

Ever since I read the review of a Gigabyte 8800GT with 'Gamer Hud' activated to boost Core voltages to achieve a plus 800Mhz on the Core Overclock I felt I had to have a GPU with that feature. Why is it that more Board conpanies don't use this technology or a variation of it on their GPU's. I know the obvious answer is they are worried that people will fry their GPU's within Five minutes of it being booted up and Overclocked to its max. But seriously, why hasn't someone made a Hack version of this software?
I know if more Board companies had this 'Gamer Hud' or something similar sales of thos GPU's would soar, So would peoples Overclocks

ATI has had a similar Feature back on its 2900XT GPU that let you adjust voltages?

But besides the very risky Hard wire Voltage mod and BIOS flashes is there no other way to adjust voltages on current GPU's?

I think we Overclockers in Canada need to petiton this. Who is the closest Board Company to us? Whoever it is, Lets get a petition going to somehow find a way to get a Voltage adjustment feature added to some upcoming GPU releases
Thanx for reading my Rant. Hopefully it starts a fire somewhere. And everybody who is interested in this, Fan the flame if it starts.
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old September 4, 2008, 08:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9800GT Review
Since we donít really have the space nor the time to focus on the Gamer HUD, letís just say that it is like the other manufacturer-included overclocking and temperature monitoring software but it also includes GPU core voltage adjustments. Unfortunately, no matter what we did, increasing the voltage didnít affect the cardís overclock one iota so we have to wonder if this feature actually works.
Last I'd heard, the G92 cores tended to be helped by a little extra voltage, so it's not unreasonable to assume that this feature might not even work for Gigabyte's card, let alone other makes/models.

Personally, while software voltage adjustments would be convenient, it might be for the better overall if it didn't become commonplace. While putting better cooling on a card (provided it's a legitimate cooling solution) generally only helps the card, pushing more voltage through it is a whole different animal. And when you can do it by just moving a slider bar or typing in a larger number... As you noted, too much potential for people to fry their cards. These days, a lot of people tend to lose sight of the fact that overclocking isn't a 100% risk-free activity. Facing the prospect of putting a soldering iron up to an expensive piece of equipment can do wonders for restoring perspective.
Old September 4, 2008, 10:43 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The software voltage control didn't work for me in the 9800GT review....