Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2008, 09:12 PM
MVP

Default 4850 No Post, Restaring, No more ideas....

Copy and paste from my thread from OCF, I'm totally out of ideas so if anyone has any it would be greatly appreciated.

My friend recently bought a Sapphire 4850. I installed the card, everything is connected properly, card is seated and has power. It worked for about 2 days before it started rebooting randomly in windows. I then wiped the system and tried a fresh install and had the same problem even without installing drivers. I tested all the components and was stumped. I tried the 4850 in my Maximus Formula and had no problems after 10 restarts. I then tried an extra 7600 GS I had laying around and it worked fine in the Asrock Wolfdale board he had.

I grabbed a P5K/EPU from work and tried it again. This time the system turns on for about 2 seconds and powers down. It turns back on a few seconds later. Everything is unplugged (harddrives, cdrom, front panel stuff). The card works like a charm on my Maximus Formula and my friends 7600 GS worked fine in the P5K/EPU board. I have flashed the board to the latest bios from Asus's website and it's the same thing. The only thing I can think of is some kind of PCI 1.0 and 2.0 conflict between the board and the card that hasn't/can't be fixed by Asus.

Any other ideas would be great, if not I guess it means a new 2.0 board.
Old September 3, 2008, 04:53 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Could be the PSU. You've tried many parts in your friend's rig, but kept the same PSU. Which model is it?
Old September 3, 2008, 07:45 AM
Rookie

It won't matter if it's a 2.0 board. Before I got my P5Q-Pro, I was using my 4850 on an old 945 mobo (P5L-MX), which had PCI-E 1.0. I would suspect your friends PSU. You have a nice build there btw.
Old September 3, 2008, 10:37 PM
MVP

It's CM 500, I tried running off the 6 pin PCIE and using a molex splitter, not sure if that makes a difference. I'll try another PSU tomorrow and see what happens.