Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2008, 09:08 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default 9800GT Roundup Comment Thread

The time has come for Hardware Canucks to take a long, hard look at the "new" 9800 GT series of cards. In this unique roundup we look at everything from overclocking to gaming performance and find out that some of these cards are face-distorting performers while others are...well, read the article and you will see.

Here it is: GeForce 9800 GT Roundup (EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte & Palit)

Please use this thread for your questions and comments please.

Old September 2, 2008, 09:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

So, let me get this straight:

The Asus 9800 GT, which should not be mistaken for the 8800GTS 512, which should not be mistaked for the 8800GTS 320 or 640, should not be mistake for the other 9800GT's, which should not be mistaken for the 8800GT, is slightly faster than a 9800GTX? Hmm, gotta love Nvidia naming schemes!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old September 2, 2008, 10:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

That was an excellent review! Straight to the point - without 10 pages on core design white papers like most other reviews have. Excellent work!
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old September 2, 2008, 10:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nice review, and to teh Cptn, what you said took me awhile to comprehend, lol, but apparently yeah, that Asus 9800GT took enough roids to compete with a 9800GTX.
Old September 2, 2008, 10:09 PM
MVP
F@H

Great review. That Asus looks real intresting.
Old September 2, 2008, 10:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Good review, the only 2 cards that looked decent were the Asus and Gigabyte. The rest of them are just 8800 GT's with there bois flashed. I was thinking of getting a 9800 GT, so maybe it will be a Asus.
Old September 2, 2008, 11:26 PM
Top Prospect

I really can't believe this is happening again. First the with the 8800 Series, Now the 9800's. When will we get a real jump in performance between the Different models of GPU's. Almost every GPU since the 8800's could be Overclocked to almost reach the next model up in performance.
I really hope my new GTX260 lasts awhile. This GPU naming setup is really getting Confusing.
Nice review though. Too Bad the Gigabyte Gamer HUD would not let the Overclock get any higher.
Why can't more Board Companies use that Voltage adjustment feature (one that works though) on more GPU's??
I would really like to be able to through some more volts into the Core when i am ready to play a intensive Game then back it off for normal use.
Great feature from Gigabyte, Just needs to be 'shared' with the rest of the Companies!
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old September 3, 2008, 04:51 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Believe it or not, to a certain extent I agree with what Nvidia is doing. Since it would have gone above and beyond the context of the review, I may as well put it here.

Let's all just take a step back and look where we are at. The economy is in the shitter and gas prices are on the rise which means people like you and I just don't have the money left over to think about buying a $400 luxury such as a high-performance graphics card. Many people take for granted the fact that they have the money to buy something like the 9800GTX and GTX 260 while others who USED to be able to buy these types of cards can't anymore because gas is costing them $150 a week, food prices have gone up and their mortgage just took a hit.

Then add all of this economy BS to the fact (yes, I will admit it) that the PC gaming industry is slowly going downhill. This is no small fault of ATI and Nvidia alienating the vast majority of everyday gamers by continually increasing the price of their hardware. That overpriced yet powerful hardware meant that game developers were able to take the easy (and lazy) road of not optimizing their games well enough to run on slightly older hardware. What this meant is that PC gamers who wanted to play the latest game needed to run out and buy a new GPU every few months. On the other hand they could buy a $500 console which would be around for a few YEARS and play the latest titles. Guess which one they picked?

Whether they like it or not, a slumping economy affects ATI and Nvidia's bottom line as much as it affects consumer's spending habits. While they both may be multi-billion dollar companies, they have to watch out where their money goes and right now flushing hundreds of millions into R&D to exponentially increase GPU processing power is a bad investment. For all of the reasons I mentioned above.

When you add all of this together, you come to the realization that both ATI and Nvidia have FINALLY come to: people don't want to buy a $400 GPU to play the latest games. Most of them want (and can afford) a sub-$200 card which can play everything out there at reasonably high settings. THAT is why you haven't seen any leaps in mid-range performance.

As for the name change, yes it frustrates me just like you but it will work out for the best. The Nvidia lineup will finally be clearer once stock of the 8800GT dries up and the 9800 GT gets some much needed (albeit optional) features. I would have just much rather seen the 9800 GT released as a 55nm card from the get-go.
Old September 3, 2008, 06:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Believe it or not, to a certain extent I agree with what Nvidia is doing. Since it would have gone above and beyond the context of the review, I may as well put it here.

Let's all just take a step back and look where we are at. The economy is in the shitter and gas prices are on the rise which means people like you and I just don't have the money left over to think about buying a $400 luxury such as a high-performance graphics card. Many people take for granted the fact that they have the money to buy something like the 9800GTX and GTX 260 while others who USED to be able to buy these types of cards can't anymore because gas is costing them $150 a week, food prices have gone up and their mortgage just took a hit.

Then add all of this economy BS to the fact (yes, I will admit it) that the PC gaming industry is slowly going downhill. This is no small fault of ATI and Nvidia alienating the vast majority of everyday gamers by continually increasing the price of their hardware. That overpriced yet powerful hardware meant that game developers were able to take the easy (and lazy) road of not optimizing their games well enough to run on slightly older hardware. What this meant is that PC gamers who wanted to play the latest game needed to run out and buy a new GPU every few months. On the other hand they could buy a $500 console which would be around for a few YEARS and play the latest titles. Guess which one they picked?

Whether they like it or not, a slumping economy affects ATI and Nvidia's bottom line as much as it affects consumer's spending habits. While they both may be multi-billion dollar companies, they have to watch out where their money goes and right now flushing hundreds of millions into R&D to exponentially increase GPU processing power is a bad investment. For all of the reasons I mentioned above.

When you add all of this together, you come to the realization that both ATI and Nvidia have FINALLY come to: people don't want to buy a $400 GPU to play the latest games. Most of them want (and can afford) a sub-$200 card which can play everything out there at reasonably high settings. THAT is why you haven't seen any leaps in mid-range performance.

As for the name change, yes it frustrates me just like you but it will work out for the best. The Nvidia lineup will finally be clearer once stock of the 8800GT dries up and the 9800 GT gets some much needed (albeit optional) features. I would have just much rather seen the 9800 GT released as a 55nm card from the get-go.
Amen, I was about to type something similar! Thank god you did first! <3 Great review Sky!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 3, 2008, 08:07 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Great review, I think I would be buying the Gigabyte out of that lot.