Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2008, 11:17 PM
MVP

Default Dual HD 4870x2 Benchies

Hey all, just picked up two of these monsters on thursday. Just getting around to seeing what they can do now. Between a few driver issues (my fault:bang head) and the Warhammer preview weekend I've been a little busy.

Out of the box these things are unbelieveably heavy, and are fairly long but not longer then any other high end card out there. I have noticed a little bit of droop at the end of the cards due to the weight, but I can't see it being an issue.

The only major gripe I have with these cards is the heat output similar to that of a propane space heater.....my room has increased by about 5 or so degrees depending on what time of day it is. As with the heat also comes the cooling nessecary to keep these things from exploding. At 100% fan speed these cards are almost comically loud. They sound like mini airliners taking off. Playing games for hours on end I haven't had the fan go above 60%. If you have a fairly silent setup this may be an issue, but since my tower is already fairly noisy I don't really notice the noise.

And now, a few pictures. I'm sure you've all seen these cards before and I'm too lazy to rip them out atm, so I just snapped a few quick shots of them inside my system.

The box

Nice of them to include this

I had a rather difficult time installing these. I completly forgot to run driver cleaner after removing my old Nvidia drivers and thus created many headaches. The problems ranged from wicked artifacting, DX10 not working, system crashes, blue screens and everything in between. In the end though it all works perfectly.:)

Everything was tested running Vista 32-Bit with all the latest updates. Cards were running 8.8 drivers off of AMD's website.

3dMark 06

1280x1024 - 20567
1680x1050 - 20344
1900x1200 - 20295 - 8xAA - 19231

3dMark Vantage

P15650 - GPU 22349 - CPU 8240
H14004 - GPU 15959 - CPU 8266
X12224 - GPU 12632 - CPU 7580

I ran the Devil May Cry 4 benchmark and with the settings cranked the lowest fps i got was 205 so it really doesn't do much to stress the GPU.
I wanted to run some Crysis benchmarks as well but for some reason the Crysis benchmarking tool doesn't want to work properly. I'll post them up once I have it working.

Any other tests or whatnot you'd like me to run just let me know.

This post is a copy/paste from my thread at OCF.
Old August 24, 2008, 12:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

Wicked system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Any other tests or whatnot you'd like me to run just let me know.
Is there any chance that you could run 3DMark '01...please? I know it's old and pretty-much irrelevant, but it's still nice to see where systems rank with it.

Last edited by 1Tanker; August 24, 2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old August 24, 2008, 01:15 AM
MVP
F@H

Yowza! That is one nice setup you got there and you gotta love those scores.
Old August 24, 2008, 08:04 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yikes!!! Still bottlenecked a bit with a 4Ghz dual core. That just goes to show you the power of these cards...
Old August 24, 2008, 08:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Yikes!!! Still bottlenecked a bit with a 4Ghz dual core. That just goes to show you the power of these cards...
Cant wait to get my hands on one! soon soon.....And may be another one soon after that.

I hope my Q6600 at 3.8Ghz wont bottleneck two cards?

Now for NCIX to get stock in for the HIS 4870X2! And Swiftech to release their 4870X2 kit for the MCW60!

Old August 24, 2008, 08:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can you run some games like Crysis? 3D Mark doesn't mean a lot sometimes...
Old August 24, 2008, 10:57 AM
Banned

lol crysis, cry more dude
Old August 24, 2008, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo4g View Post
Cant wait to get my hands on one! soon soon.....And may be another one soon after that.

I hope my Q6600 at 3.8Ghz wont bottleneck two cards?

Now for NCIX to get stock in for the HIS 4870X2! And Swiftech to release their 4870X2 kit for the MCW60!

There will still definitely be some decent bottlenecking going on, SKY seems pretty adamant on breaking the 4.0ghz mark +Some if possible... I'm sure the more, the merrier to a degree.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old August 24, 2008, 02:16 PM
MVP

Like I said, I've been trying to get this crysis bench tool to work, it likes to hang at the end though.

The CPU bottleneck is really noticable, makes a quad that much more tempting. Even so you would need some serious cooling to run the chip high enough for the cards to run to their full potential.

EDIT: Downloading 3dm 01 now will have it up in a bit. Scored 55650 with the default settings.

Last edited by Iamcanadian7; August 24, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old August 24, 2008, 08:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

nice. Sometimes I wished I would have waited and got a 4870 X2 instead.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."