Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2008, 06:37 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Default ATI, nVidia and vsync.

Running my first ATI card (4850) since the 9700 pro. One thing I've noticed is that vsync seems to work better. As in, when you are making less than the refresh rate in frames, the ATI cards drop out of vsync(back to the full output, 54fps etc), while the nVidia cards tended to cut the frames in half (drop from 60 to 30).

Anyone else notice this? Or is it just the games implementing it better these days. I never used vsync much unless I could stay locked at 60 with nvidia cards because of this. I use it on all my games now with the ATI.
Old August 19, 2008, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Running my first ATI card (4850) since the 9700 pro. One thing I've noticed is that vsync seems to work better. As in, when you are making less than the refresh rate in frames, the ATI cards drop out of vsync(back to the full output, 54fps etc), while the nVidia cards tended to cut the frames in half (drop from 60 to 30).

Anyone else notice this? Or is it just the games implementing it better these days. I never used vsync much unless I could stay locked at 60 with nvidia cards because of this. I use it on all my games now with the ATI.
If you use a LCD monitor you only see 60fps anyways.

vsync will mostly help with tearing of graphics.