Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2008, 09:18 PM
MVP

Default 4870X2 micro stuttering

is this real or a bunch a crap ? see the video in this link,are all 4870x2 plagued with this problem?
PCGH - Test/Benchmark: PCGH proves micro stuttering on the Radeon HD 4870 X2
Old August 18, 2008, 09:40 PM
Allstar

I forget where now but someone on a forum was mentioning thatwas happening on a 280 as well.
Old August 18, 2008, 09:52 PM
MVP

wonder if its a defect er somethin
Old August 18, 2008, 09:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Microstuttering is, in fact, a real phenomenon. That particular bit of 'proof', on the other hand, is a crock of shite.

All that video is, is a clip of someone playing Crysis at WAY too high of detail for their card to handle. Considering the fps count never breaks 20, the picture's fluidity is far too poor for microstuttering to even be a meaningful issue. Play me a Crysis demo that never goes below 40fps, or a Source game that never drops below 60fps, and THEN start looking for problems.

It's a brutally overblown problem these days, but it does actually exist. The best explanation I've seen involves the video cards/cores simply getting information too fast for the rendered frames to appear at regular intervals. In a situation with highly-clocked processors and memory hubs, it's much easier for such a thing to occur. With the latest generation of cards, the imbalance between speed/power of the GPU's and the rest of the system is no longer as pronounced, making it less of an issue.

There are countless people who NEVER notice anything with their multi-GPU setups, and game happily ever after (until they find out there's a bigger card coming out, anyway). And there are a couple of us who wondered why our gaming experiences were WAY out of whack with what FRAPS was claiming, and finally learned the reasons later on.
Old August 19, 2008, 04:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

anybody think this could be a VGA, DVI single / dual Link cable problem?
the link doesn't say their setup.
Old August 19, 2008, 04:58 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

I can honestly say I've never experienced this, not with SLi'd 6800GS's, not with Crossfired HD3870's, and certianly not with the HD4870X2. Playing games at stupid resolutions doesn't prove there's a serious issue, it just magnify's a smaller one which the majority of people won't even notice.
Old August 19, 2008, 06:01 AM
MVP

thanks mpg excellent answer
Old August 19, 2008, 07:53 AM
Banned
F@H

I'm the only one it seems that understand microstutter. I'll put up more later, with a video of stutter @ 300FPS.

You can check youtube for my current video, labelled stutter. Note this test is run @ 1280x1024.

YouTube - stutter
Old August 19, 2008, 02:09 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
I'm the only one it seems that understand microstutter. I'll put up more later, with a video of stutter @ 300FPS.

You can check youtube for my current video, labelled stutter. Note this test is run @ 1280x1024.
what kinda rig runs crysis @ 300 fps ? anyway video looked smooth in that clip,maybe i missed it
Old August 19, 2008, 02:25 PM
Banned
F@H

PLease.

Different app(DMC4). That vid was 60FPS and up. LoL. Crysis @ 300FPS..I think that will never happen in next 3 years...5 maybe....

And yeah, you missed it...watch when I hold up the controller(basically from 42 seconds on...)...does the character move smoothly? NOPE. But it does @ 1680x1050...

Does the framerate drop? NOPE. Quite the opposite as I near the canyon wall at the end...