Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2008, 09:33 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Default Visiontek 4870 X2 IN TROUBLE

Joyousness shall occur. Let happiness rain from the heavens, etc.
Now to seriousness...

I will be posting benchmark results for card in 3DM'06 when it arrives. Current numbers so far are as follows:
2x 8800GTS = Approx. 11k
3850 (from my HTPC while I'm waiting for the X2) = Approx. 8k.
4870 X2 = ??? SOON!!!

We'll see just how much of a bottleneck the rest of my system truly is. Maybe with this card I'll break 20k in 3DM'06 finally, lol.

Last edited by CMetaphor; August 19, 2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old August 18, 2008, 09:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

11K with two 8800 GTS's? Stock settings? Seems a little low, which makes me think that yes, the rest of system might be slowing the cards down a little. My own 8800 GTS 640MB could break 13K. Granted, a lot of that score is owing to the quad-core, but even still...

It'll be interesting to see your results when you get the card.
Old August 18, 2008, 09:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

with my set up I got just over 14K.
When will you get your new card,tomorrow.
Old August 18, 2008, 09:23 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Im thinking processor bottleneck, and time for a 9850 in my near future. Will post back when I get the card...
Old August 19, 2008, 05:53 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

"On vehicle for delivery" . Joyousness shall occur when I get home from work. Will post 3DM'06 scores as soon as I'm done drooling, lol. We'll see just what kind of bottlenecking my system has.

@ MpG: Yeah, dual-core vs quad-core will definitely give you a big boost in the CPU section of 3DM'06. Also, even though my motherboard was a V.High model when I got it (Crosshair) it's still about 4-5 Nvidia chipsets behind the curve. Perhaps with a new motherboard AND a Phenom X4 my benchies will show the most improvement. More than likely I'll bench first with the new card, then upgrade to a 9850 Phenom and bench (Crosshair Bios 1103 is supposed to support it) then finally replace the motherboard for a crossfire one and bench that setup.
Old August 19, 2008, 07:13 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Alrighty then! So I got it... And it's freaking huge, freaking heavy and Freaking Hot.
But before I get into any of that (it's still running it's first 3DM'06 loop) I need to ask an important question to any owner or reviewer of a 4870X2. Has anyone heard a loud whine/screech sound from the card itself when starting something GPU-intensive? When I started the 3DM06 loop as soon it got into the first test there was a whine for the card. "WTF" i said to myself... So I look in, thinking it may be one of my numerous fans.... I slow them allllll down to near-stopping RPMs, the sound disappeared. I thought to myself "okay, one of the bearings is dead, no biggie". But then with the next GPU test, the noise comes right back again. "WTF" i said to myself again. This time I used the tip of my finger on the fan hub of the 4870X2 to slow the fan down, still the same noise. The noise is coming from the Electronics on the card?!?!?!?! I can't think of any other explanation. This noise has never occured before in my system... it's something new (aka the 4870x2).
What do I do?
Is this normal?
RMA?!?!

Please answer back, I don't want this thing possibly frying itself in my system.

PS: 3DM06 @ default settings = 12k.... Sigh. Bottlenecked to the max. it seems.

EDIT: There is actually a small constant noise coming from the card, like a fan clicking against something lightly but continuing. It is constantly there so long as the card is under load...
Old August 19, 2008, 07:33 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Edit2: The strange constant noise seems to be fading (the fan breaking itself in on the 4870x2?) but the screech/whine/whatever electrical noise is still there when starting a benchmark.... Any insight from ANYONE would be appreciated at this point. I'm hating this...

PPS: 12k in 3DM06 @ 1680x1050
11.3k in 3DM05 @ 1680x1060 + 8xAA/16xAF .... Yup, this is the card alright, laughing at AA and AF and barely taking a hit in the score. Now if only it didn't make weird noises and get super-bottlenecked I'd be happy.
Old August 19, 2008, 07:36 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

That same explanation reminds me of the issues the 680i chipset had with the PWMs while the CPU was under load. From what I understood, as long as there is sufficient cooling, it's not a problem.
Old August 19, 2008, 07:39 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Thanks for the reply 3.0charlie, I have 2x CM 120mm's (at max) and 2x Tricools (on low) pointing at it from the bottom and side of my case. Enough cooling? It better be. But still.... wtf is with the noise? The memories of threads about 680i's are haunting me now, lol.
Old August 19, 2008, 07:50 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Ask 3oh6; he knows a lot about that stuff.