Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Visiontek 4870 X2 on it's way... (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/9437-visiontek-4870-x2-its-way.html)

CMetaphor August 20, 2008 06:34 AM

Will be calling them today to ask :thumb:. If there is an issue or I don't like what they're saying about I'll probably be returning it (Thanks @ NCIX ExpressRMA). But which brand to get instead? Visiontek was the only one AFAIK with a lifetime warranty...

CraigHf August 20, 2008 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 80996)
Will be calling them today to ask :thumb:. If there is an issue or I don't like what they're saying about I'll probably be returning it (Thanks @ NCIX ExpressRMA). But which brand to get instead? Visiontek was the only one AFAIK with a lifetime warranty...

I'm not sure man... maybe try another one of the same brand...

Dr_BenD_over August 20, 2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 80992)
@CraigHf & Dr_BenD_over: Which brands of 4870X2 do you have? I'm still not convinced that I should "just get used" to this sound because it is a very loud sound that can be clearly heard (at least by me) over the 10x-12x fans in my system...

Diamond

CMetaphor August 20, 2008 09:04 AM

According to VisionTek's customer support rep.:
Visiontek Rep = "Our cards shouldn't make any kind of electrical noise like that. Did you check see if something was wrong with the fan?"
Me = "Yes, I slowed and stopped the fan gently and it still made the noise when under heavy GPU load."
VisionTek rep = "The noise isn't normal, I'd recommend you return the video card or ask for an exchange."

.... Well that's that. Looks like NCIX will be getting a call from me now also, le sigh.

CraigHf August 20, 2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 81018)
According to VisionTek's customer support rep.:
Visiontek Rep = "Our cards shouldn't make any kind of electrical noise like that. Did you check see if something was wrong with the fan?"
Me = "Yes, I slowed and stopped the fan gently and it still made the noise when under heavy GPU load."
VisionTek rep = "The noise isn't normal, I'd recommend you return the video card or ask for an exchange."

.... Well that's that. Looks like NCIX will be getting a call from me now also, le sigh.

Well...I know it's a pain in the butt when you have to RMA something you were excited to get, but still, that's kind of a good news isn't it !?

Dr_BenD_over August 21, 2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 80885)
Edit2: The strange constant noise seems to be fading (the fan breaking itself in on the 4870x2?) but the screech/whine/whatever electrical noise is still there when starting a benchmark.... Any insight from ANYONE would be appreciated at this point. I'm hating this...

PPS: 12k in 3DM06 @ 1680x1050
11.3k in 3DM05 @ 1680x1060 + 8xAA/16xAF .... Yup, this is the card alright, laughing at AA and AF and barely taking a hit in the score. Now if only it didn't make weird noises and get super-bottlenecked I'd be happy.


So I'm redoing my benches since my PSU can now handle my Q6600 @ 3.6 and I hear while running '06

HDR1 Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzep
HDR2 Bdeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee p

:shok:

CMetaphor August 21, 2008 06:29 PM

ah HA! I'm not alone! Thank god, I thought I was going crazy.

sectorz August 21, 2008 09:21 PM

Not understang why you do only 11K with 2 8800GTS, I do 16K with only one :shok: ...

MpG August 22, 2008 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sectorz (Post 81818)
Not understang why you do only 11K with 2 8800GTS, I do 16K with only one :shok: ...

What about the rest of the your hardware? At stock settings, a considerable portion of 3DMark06's score comes from the CPU (common complaint), and quad-cores offer a noticeable boost over dual-cores.

CMetaphor August 22, 2008 09:22 AM

From what I understand (from doing some heavy research on bottlenecking) the three biggest causes of my problems are #1 - The chipset (590a - Not that fast, not that great bandwidth), #2 the RAM (4x1Gigs sticks running through a 1000mhz HTT is not as fast as 2x2Gigs would be running through a newer HTT with more bandwidth) and #3 the processor (Windsor Architecture is getting old).


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:31 PM.