Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2008, 02:17 AM
Rookie

Default ATI/AMD driver stability

Hi all,

I want to buy a new computer soon and I am a little undecided on the video card. I have a budget of 2000-2500 EUR so I want top notch.

The thing is I will probably keep this system for 2-3 years so stability is the most important thing for me.

The way I see it I can choose between a NVIDIA GTX 280 and the newly released AMD Radeon HD 4870 X2.

The AMD Radeon HD 4870 X2 seems a better solution, but...

I and all the friends I know have had problems with ATI drivers (before ATI was taken over by AMD). Constant blue screen, games not working at all and so on.

My question is: is this still the case?
Are NVIDIA drivers better that ATI's ?
Or they are mostly the same?

One more thing. Has the driver situation on linux changed or NVIDIA is still the king?

Thank you for your time.
Old August 12, 2008, 05:29 AM
Allstar

I have used Nvidia from GeForce 2 to 6600GT and never had many issues with them.
I started using ATI with a 9800 Pro, then a few X800's, then X1950 Pro and finally the main gaming rig is running a HD4870. Having ATI providing service from Toronto was a big factor in my switching.

I have experienced minor driver issues with Nvidia and ATI over the years but again minor. The X1950 Pro was installed since it came out and just replaced a few weeks ago never had any issues with any game and ran great.

Myself, I would not purchase the HD 4870 x 2 because there will be a greater occurrence with driver issues since it had 2 gpu's on the card. I know of some that have had issues on 3870 x 2 for example and not on the single gpu models.

I think AMD has a winner with the 48xx series and we should reward them for thier inovation by purchasing an ATI card. Lord knows they need our business ...

Ref Linux support, I always use an old Nvidia card like a 5900XT when I play around with Linux. I hear the support from ATI is better now but I have not tried it.
Old August 12, 2008, 05:42 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Believe it or not, an ATI driver has never given me a BSOD. Nvidia's Vista drivers on the other hand have BSODed on me quite a few times in the last 4 months.

Personally, I prefer ATI's drivers for stability and Nvidia's for ease of installation since I have had some issues in the past getting ATI's drivers to install. They are picky little bastards.
Old August 12, 2008, 07:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I stopped using Nvidia because of a driver issue with G80 cards, XP and the Unreal 2 engine (Ut2004, RvS, SWAT4, all unplayable on certain maps, 1-2 fps) A year after these cards came out it still hadn't been fixed on XP. Then again I just went through 4 driver releases in Ati land where crossfire was completely broken on XP with 3870's (broke in 8.2, fixed in 8.6) You'll get bad drivers on both.
Old August 13, 2008, 03:20 PM
Rookie

Thank you guys, I've decided to buy a 4870 x2.
I can hardly wait to get my hands on it...