Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2008, 10:56 PM
Rookie

Default Strange BFG 8800GT OC

Hi there,I received my parts this morning & got a surprise when I saw my BFG 8800 GT OC.I never saw that card anywhere before & It's not looking like what I saw on the website.

This is mine

And this is the one I saw everywhere & thought I was buying this one...Is there any difference between them?Does mine will run cooler/hotter with that HSF?

Last edited by Cobra; August 12, 2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old August 12, 2008, 03:03 PM
Rookie

strange, must be a new revision? i've never seen that either. It most likely keeps temps slightly better because the fresh air doesn't go towards redundant PCB areas and instead hits the chipset, RAM, and I see the mosfets have their own heatsink now... (although I'm not sure how the fan would help that since it looks to be closed off from that section)
Old August 12, 2008, 03:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

LOL - Congratulations you are one of our very lucky customers to receive the SPECIAL version and you've just won $1 million ! ;-)))

....All kidding aside, yes there is a difference - The 2nd picture is based on the reference design, which was criticized a lot for its small and loud fan - the top picture (your card) is a revised cooler, fan runs quieter and card runs cooler, so you have nothing to worry about.

That is the card I use - when running GPUCaps Furtest at its highest settings w/32x sampling the card never exceeds 80 - and during heavy gaming never exceeds 84, with AUTO fan on at all times. You'll be happy with that card it runs rock solid and can be further OCed (but I guess you know that voids your warranty :D)

The thing with 1 slot card and this type of setup is that the hot air is recirculated inside your case, so I recommend a very well ventilated case, because unlike 2 slot coolers, the hot air is not exhausted out !