My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
Ah crap, Diamond HD4870X2 ordered
From?
Old August 12, 2008, 07:08 AM
Top Prospect

Very nice.
And thank you for the information and links re: DFI bios.
Old August 12, 2008, 07:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Very nice stuff SKY. I'm really looking forward to your CrossfireX testing and overclocking.

I think I might have found my next card.

I'm still seeing claims of microstutter on this card. Did you see any of that?
Old August 12, 2008, 07:14 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
From?

NCIX had a few in stock according to the website. We shall see.

EDIT: Order Processed....
Old August 12, 2008, 07:24 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphine View Post
Very nice.
And thank you for the information and links re: DFI bios.
I couldn't leave you guys hanging now could I?
Old August 12, 2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
I'm still seeing claims of microstutter on this card. Did you see any of that?
If yo uare refering to the PCGH review, please look somewhere else. It is a great site and has done some amazing articles but with the Microstutter on the HD4870 X2 one they missed the plate a bit. I have not experienced any in my testing and the only issue I found was a bit of texture corruption in Crysis DX10 @ 1600 res.

Hilbert addressed this as well on his forum and I must agree with him; many mentions of microstutter stem from the fact that the cards they are using (the ones sent out for the "previews") had an older BIOS which had some of the features disabled.

On the other hand, from what I understand Microstutter will occur at extremely high FPS and not at the usual 60-80FPS range (ie: monitor refresh rate). So, either I am blind since it doesn't seem to happen to me in the games I play or the X2 is doing quite a bit better than other CF solutions.

Last edited by SKYMTL; August 12, 2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old August 12, 2008, 07:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For some reason it looks like your review is much more lenient towards the ATI side of things. I've checked Anandtech, Tom's Hardware, and a few others and the card does not seem to be performing as well there. Could this be the BIOS issue you're talking about? I mean I read yours first SKYMTL and was amazed at how well it performed at really high resolutions, but when looking at the other sites, it just doesn't perform as well. What's happening here?
Old August 12, 2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
For some reason it looks like your review is much more lenient towards the ATI side of things. I've checked Anandtech, Tom's Hardware, and a few others and the card does not seem to be performing as well there. Could this be the BIOS issue you're talking about? I mean I read yours first SKYMTL and was amazed at how well it performed at really high resolutions, but when looking at the other sites, it just doesn't perform as well. What's happening here?
I made reference to this without calling out any site even though I KNEW it would happen.

Let me put it this way:

Anand: No idea but I am guessing the usual stock Skulltrail system with 3.2Ghz QX9775s
Guru3D: E8400 @ 3.0Ghz
Toms: QX6850 @ 3.0Ghz
Techreport: QX9650 @ 3.0Ghz
Tweaktown: Q6600 2.6Ghz

Hardware Canucks: QX9770 @ 3.852Ghz

Even at high resolution, this card needs a very fast processor to shine. It doesn't really have to do with BIOS.
Old August 12, 2008, 08:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
I noticed SKY uses a QX9770 clocked to 3.85 GHz in his review, while many of the other sites are using closer to 3GHz CPUs. That might be a factor.

EDIT: Too slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
If yo uare refering to the PCGH review, please look somewhere else. It is a great site and has done some amazing articles but with the Microstutter on the HD4870 X2 one they missed the plate a bit. I have not experienced any in my testing and the only issue I found was a bit of texture corruption in Crysis DX10 @ 1600 res.

Hilbert addressed this as well on his forum and I must agree with him; many mentions of microstutter stem from the fact that the cards they are using (the ones sent out for the "previews") had an older BIOS which had some of the features disabled.

On the other hand, from what I understand Microstutter will occur at extremely high FPS and not at the usual 60-80FPS range (ie: monitor refresh rate). So, either I am blind since it doesn't seem to happen to me in the games I play or the X2 is doing quite a bit better than other CF solutions.
This was posted today on XS. Again, vague charts and unsubstantiated claims. Also, they find a way to choke the frames down to 30+40 FPS (not sure how).
Translated version of http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/2008/test_ati_radeon_hd_4870_x2/24/

Anyway, I'll have to see for myself once I install the card.

Last edited by zlojack; August 12, 2008 at 08:15 AM.