Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2008, 03:39 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pincourt, Montreal
Posts: 44
Default 4870 vs. 4870 Xoc

Is it worth it to buy the oc'ed version for +30$?

I dont see why I should go w/ it because I could probably just flash the bios to match it >.>


-Copper
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2008, 05:49 PM
magictorch's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis Valley, NS
Posts: 1,835
Default

If your comfortable doing the flash then yes it seems a waste.

There was an asus top flash link posted last week or so by canadarox I think.
__________________
White Night:: i7920 (4ghz), Rampage III extreme (A1), Mushkin XP 1600 (9,9,9,24),SLI480., white MM horizon.
CPU: Feser 220 int.|Apogee GTZ|S.Res.rev2| MCP655.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2008, 06:17 PM
1Tanker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
If your comfortable doing the flash then yes it seems a waste.

There was an asus top flash link posted last week or so by canadarox I think.
I haven't looked at "said" cards... but if the pre-O/Ced version comes with a nice aftermarket-type HS/F...then that could make the $30 worth it right there.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2008, 06:39 PM
Oversized Rooster's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 609

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
I haven't looked at "said" cards... but if the pre-O/Ced version comes with a nice aftermarket-type HS/F...then that could make the $30 worth it right there.
An Accelero could do an even better job for that $30.
__________________
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2008, 07:04 PM
CanadaRox's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Scarborough (Toronto)
Posts: 614
Default

I've posted both the ASUS TOP and Diamond XOC BIOS for the 4870. If you feel safe flashing your card to one of these BIOS, it is a complete waste as they are 100% reference cards.

Here is a link to the thread, which includes both BIOS's and instructions on how to flash your GPU with ATIFLASH: Asus 4870 Top Bios
__________________
Project: Black and White
i7 920 D0 | 3 x 2GB DDR3 | EVGA X58 SLI LE
XFX 4890 | Corsair HX750 | Corsair Obsidian
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2008, 07:46 PM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Van Isle, BC
Posts: 550
Default

One thing to keep in mind, especially if you're on a tight budget and/or inexperienced, is that the pre-OCed versions are warrantied at those speeds whereas the reference models you flash and overclock yourself will not be (nor will the aftermarket cooler be covered).
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2008, 10:02 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,815

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
I've posted both the ASUS TOP and Diamond XOC BIOS for the 4870. If you feel safe flashing your card to one of these BIOS, it is a complete waste as they are 100% reference cards.

Here is a link to the thread, which includes both BIOS's and instructions on how to flash your GPU with ATIFLASH: Asus 4870 Top Bios
Flashing is super easy. You can use WinFlash as well which flashes right in Windows. I've flashed my HD4850 a few times already without any issues that required another video card to re-flash it.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2008, 10:07 PM
Mibs's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
One thing to keep in mind, especially if you're on a tight budget and/or inexperienced, is that the pre-OCed versions are warrantied at those speeds whereas the reference models you flash and overclock yourself will not be (nor will the aftermarket cooler be covered).
This is pretty much the most important point. If you're constantly going through hardware and don't care about losing a warranty or even bricking a card then there's really no reason to buy a pre-oc'd card just for gaming. OC'ing a modern graphics card is not difficult by any means, especially with flasing. If this is your one graphics card that you need to keep for an extended period of time and you really want that extra speed then it's probably worth your while to just buy the pre-oc'd card.
__________________
Intel C2D E6750 @ 3.52 GHz // EVGA 680i SLI Rev. A1 (P31) // 4 GB OCZ Platinum 800 MHz 4-4-4-15 // PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad // Antec P180 // EVGA 8800 GTS 512 // Samsung Syncmaster 226bw 22" LCD

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes