Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8, 2008, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
It depends if the GPU can process the physics more efficiently than the cpu, if so you can actually see an increase in FPS. Theoretically.
The increase will be seen on CPU intensive games but for newer games which are GPU intensive you will not see an increase, in fact, unless you have SLI or a really fast GPU, you can expect to see a big drop in frame rate (example 85fps down to 59fps in some cases). Of course if you already have a fast GPU and a very high frame rate, even if it took some away you might not notice it, but if your GPU is limited and your rate is borderline, you will notice, don't forget that your GPU is being used for both the graphics and the physx calculations - results will vary depending on the game.
Old August 9, 2008, 02:09 PM
da_bradler

I dunno PhysX adds a lot more eye candy then something like AA, enabling advanced physics is the same as enabling something like AA expect the results are more obvious. I'd rather have advanced Physics then 8x AA any day.
Old August 9, 2008, 04:21 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Hmmmm, not working for me yet, no detection. it just says "No acceleration" with the other options grayed out.
Old August 9, 2008, 05:15 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Got it working with the 177.79 beta drivers reinstalled cleanly. Will run a 3DM06 loop with an with PhysX on and see if there's any difference.
Old August 9, 2008, 10:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Got it working with the 177.79 beta drivers reinstalled cleanly. Will run a 3DM06 loop with an with PhysX on and see if there's any difference.

Same here it works with 177.79 beta drivers.

Old August 9, 2008, 11:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bradler View Post
I dunno PhysX adds a lot more eye candy then something like AA, enabling advanced physics is the same as enabling something like AA expect the results are more obvious. I'd rather have advanced Physics then 8x AA any day.
I wouldn't call it eye candy really, and I'm most people can live without. It's what the name implies, PhysX - it adds more realism to the physics aspect of the game, like movement, particles, explosions where you see more particles instead of the same pattern all the time, etc.

With the 8 and 12 cores coming out 2009/10, it will be pointless really, at least the GPU will be free for other things and the CPUs used for PhysX :)
Old August 12, 2008, 02:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nurien Tech Demo and Metal Knight Zero on nVidia ftp.
Enjoy/benchmark PhysX.
Old August 12, 2008, 05:43 AM
MVP
F@H

Could it be possible to make a 34892940934 core gpu that runs graphics, physx and computer. No more cpu ;) If the GPUs are so much better for folding, wouldn't that mean they are better for sundry calculations that a CPU does in a game too?

I think its great that we will be able to use our old GPUs as a Physx renderer...saves me some big $$. Good on Nvidia to think that one through.

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old August 12, 2008, 06:42 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

After some benchmarking, I Lost about 200-300 points of 3DM'06 with PhysX enabled. Most games (that don't use physX) showed noticeable fewer frames.... I think it's time to switch to the ATI camp for me, barring a new stable release that actually gives a boost.
Old August 12, 2008, 07:23 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Lots of goodies.