Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old August 2, 2008, 05:50 PM
Jim's Avatar
Jim Jim is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: an hour out of Calgary
Posts: 405
Default hd 4870x2 question

because I still use a crt monitor ( 1280x1024 max)will this x2 card out perform the single gpu in most games ? just trying to future proof a bit
thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old August 2, 2008, 06:14 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,929

My System Specs

Default

I think you'd be fine with a HD4850 or HD4870 even. That's a pretty low resolution and I think the HD4870X2 is geared more towards higher resolution.

It would still probably be faster though but it's up to you if its worth the extra money. Also if your using the rig in your sig, I think you're going to be CPU bound so you might consider upgrading your CPU.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old August 2, 2008, 06:34 PM
Jim's Avatar
Jim Jim is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: an hour out of Calgary
Posts: 405
Default

what cpu would you recommend ?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old August 2, 2008, 08:50 PM
belgolas's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Posts: 3,948

My System Specs

Default

Well at that res a better cpu would be better BUT you do have it overclocked to 3.36 So you should be fine. If you want to future proff as much as possible but for a budget get a 4870 or a 4870X2 and a Q6600. Mind you Cross Fire and SLI shine at higher res.
__________________

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old August 3, 2008, 05:56 AM
Jim's Avatar
Jim Jim is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: an hour out of Calgary
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Well at that res a better cpu would be better BUT you do have it overclocked to 3.36 So you should be fine. If you want to future proff as much as possible but for a budget get a 4870 or a 4870X2 and a Q6600. Mind you Cross Fire and SLI shine at higher res.
what makes the q6600 better , I mean does 4 cores help current games mutch? such as cod4 & up coming cod world @ war
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old August 3, 2008, 06:19 AM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,640

My System Specs

Default

Extra cores won't help in current games, but future games should take advantage of them.

Sweet spot now for gaming is probably the E8400 if your motherboard will support it.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i7 4770K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old August 3, 2008, 06:34 AM
Jim's Avatar
Jim Jim is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: an hour out of Calgary
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Extra cores won't help in current games, but future games should take advantage of them.

Sweet spot now for gaming is probably the E8400 if your motherboard will support it.
cool thanks,guess I'm not cpu bound then
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old August 3, 2008, 06:45 AM
belgolas's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Posts: 3,948

My System Specs

Default

Well you said you wanted to future prof yourself so a quad is going to be better then a dual core. Especially when DX11 comes out. There are a handful of games that take advantage of a quad core and not to mention when you are running a game and it may only use 2 cores but your operating system is still using up some of those cores so a quad would benefit even for dual core optimized games.
__________________

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old August 3, 2008, 07:45 AM
Jim's Avatar
Jim Jim is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: an hour out of Calgary
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Well you said you wanted to future prof yourself so a quad is going to be better then a dual core. Especially when DX11 comes out. There are a handful of games that take advantage of a quad core and not to mention when you are running a game and it may only use 2 cores but your operating system is still using up some of those cores so a quad would benefit even for dual core optimized games.
DX11 ? oh wow didn't know about that.yea i did say future proof alright
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old August 5, 2008, 01:24 PM
thenewguy001's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 844
Default

Can anyone confirm a release date for this sucker? I've heard Aug 16.
__________________
i5 2500K @ 4.0 GHz
2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Patriot Pyro 240GB
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes