Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2008, 03:43 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
I couldn't have the default clocks and higher CCC limit, but I was able to have default clocks, the regular 790MHz limit in CCC and the better fan profile. I'll upload the BIOS here, refer to the other thread on how to get them installed.
Won't be trying any bioses right now...my machine crashed twice yesterday (Vista had to recover the video card driver once, and last night I got a blue screen caused by the vid card). Second time I was watching my temps and they were fine so I will be doing an OS reinstall this week to make sure the problem is not software.

Flashing the bios does void the warranty correct, even if I flash using a sapphire bios on my sapphire card? (In case my issue is hardware and I need to rma...)
Fold for team #54196
Old August 1, 2008, 09:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

I would guess that using a BIOS meant for a different card would void your warrenty, though I am not sure. ATI manufacturer's seem to be a lot more restrictive than nVidia's (XFX and EVGA let you do pretty much anything short of voldmods).

If you still get BSODs after you reinstall try manually setting the fan speed high (50%+) and see if it helps. I know a lot of people have had perfectly cool cores and mosfets that overheated and caused crashes.
Old August 1, 2008, 09:19 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Right now I suspect my drivers. Installed the hotfix ones first and CCC wouldn't load, tried the Beta 8.7s and that is what I am using right now until my OS re-install. The fact that I had CCC issues at first and all I did was use the Control Panel to uninstall the hotfix drivers (didn't use any driver cleaner utility or anything) I was asking for trouble. If you have used a good utility to completely remove drivers in Vista 64 I would like a recommendation. Driver Cleaner Pro does not have Vista support.

The fact that I have a wind tunnel running through my case with my fans on high, my temps should be fine unless there is a hardware issue. However, Everest will not report the GPU temps so I have been using CCC to view them.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 1, 2008, 09:24 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You can use GPU-z to report temps.
Old August 1, 2008, 09:32 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
You can use GPU-z to report temps.
Yeah just trying that one now...seems pretty consistent with what CCC was showing. Keeps a simple graph for display though which is handy.

I liked Everest showing my temps in the Windows sidebar. Perhaps with a re-install they will be displayed or I'll have to wait for an Everest update.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 7, 2008, 08:21 PM
Allstar

I strapped a moderate speed 80 mm fan (2200 RPM Everflow I had laying around) to the outside of my hard drive cage (pulling air over the hard drives, blowing air into the graphics card) and it dropped my idle temp a solid 15*C on the HD 4870 plus it dropped my HDD temps by about 5*C as well ...