Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2008, 05:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

very interested in this as i have a 4870 , just not sure i understand all this yet :)
Old July 30, 2008, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would personally wait for riviatuner to update then risk a flashed bios.

very very interested.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 30, 2008, 05:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

As long as you've got a PCI (or PCIe if your motherboard has more than one slot) GPU, you can recover from a failed flash, so its not too much of a concern. And if you want to be bleeding edge, you can't wait for Rivatuner =P

I've added two more modded drivers to the testing list. DNA 8.6 and 8.7B. No Arguements Needed | Do Not Argue for those interested.
Old July 30, 2008, 11:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

So I've run all the testing. Six different drivers, ~45 minutes of Crysis time demos and a few hours later and I can pretty much conclusively say that the best drivers currently available are the DNA 8.7B drivers (which can be obtained here: DNA ATi 8.7.B Vista | Do Not Argue). Unfortunately it seems that DNA has only modded Vista drivers, so your next best choice would be either the default 8.7 drivers or XG 8.6 drivers.

So now onto some data...

Here we can see that pretty much all of the results are within a few FPS of eachother. THe only one that really stands out as being out of place is the DNA 8.6 ToD 0 result, which is the a whole 67% faster than the DNA 8.7B drivers. Had this pattern continued the entire time it would have just meant an awesome driver, but I'm thinking that either I set AA to 2x by mistake, or for some reason it wasn't applied. I'll hopefully get around to retesting DNA 8.6 tomorrow or Friday.

Now lets get some sexy graphs!

It is a bit hard to see in this graph because the max value is so high, but it is still pretty clear that DNA 8.7B is the driver of choice. It is also pretty clear that I'm not an Excel expert as I seem to have each set of values graphed twice...

Let's zoom in a little and see a bit more accurately how well these drivers compare.

Now that we are a bit more up close and personal with this graph, we can see that the DNA 8.7B has a whopping 0.7-1FPS lead over the other drivers. Not much worth writing home about as it is a 3.5% increase, which doesn't seem like much. And its not. But as an overclocker that wants to push their PC to the limit, I will make sure im using DNA 8.7B's, atleast until something faster comes out.

As future drivers are released (both modded and standard) I'll try to get a chance to test them against the previous top driver(s). Unfortunately I wont be able to test any nVidia drivers since the last nVidia GPU in my house is my retired 8800GTX.

And finally, unrelated to all these drivers, I have modded the TOP BIOS with default clocks so you can have the higher overclock limit, better fan profile and not need to worry about stability issues at the stock TOP clocks of 815MHz/925MHz.
I just tested the BIOS with TOP CCC limit and default clocks. It didn't work. Luckily I've got an old X600XL for just the occasions! I'll see if I can get the TOP BIOS working with <815MHz/925MHz once I've gotten my 4870 alive and kicking.

Last edited by CanadaRox; July 31, 2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old July 31, 2008, 10:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

I'm about to retest DNA 8.6. Someone also posted the Diamond XOC BIOS at XS which is supposed to be capable of running the core at 950MHz. It also runs the voltage slightly higher than stock, so you might not want to use it on air (the Diamond XOC 4870 does use the same reference cooler, but with the added heat load it would probably fairly loud). I'll test out the XOC BIOS after I retest DNA 8.6.

EDIT1: After restesting DNA 8.6 @ ToD 0 the FPS was 18.86 which dropped the average to 18.24, putting it as the 2nd best performer.

EDIT2: The XOC BIOS work great and clock better than the TOP for me. They change the CCC core to 500-990 and the memory to 990-1200, so you can't even run stock memory speeds. I'm uploading the XOC BIOS to this post for those interested. Use the same method as the first post for installing it.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Diamond_HD_4870_XOC_Black_Edition.rar (42.4 KB, 537 views)

Last edited by CanadaRox; July 31, 2008 at 11:49 AM.