Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2008, 09:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Whats with ATI cards and 3DMark 06? I scored 15,200 with my 8800 GTS and only get 13,800 with my 4850 (both max stable overclocks) yet the 4850 smokes the 8800 in every other bench, including 3DMark vantage. 4850 gets 8200 and the 8800 gets 6800 in vantage. Was there some payouts and optimizations going on in 06?
I know... mine too. At ~700/1105 on E8400@4.4 my best(so far) is 13899 ...yet a guy on my other forum with the same CPU@~4-4.1 and a 9800GTX(similar OC..nothing crazy) got 16500...yet they trade blows in games, and more often-than-not..the 4850 is faster. How disappointing/embarrassing.
Old August 2, 2008, 08:52 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Maybe someone with an nvidia card could rename the 3dmark.exe and run it to see if the green boys are doing some tricky optimizations?
Old August 2, 2008, 09:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Maybe someone with an nvidia card could rename the 3dmark.exe and run it to see if the green boys are doing some tricky optimizations?
I think it's a pretty well known fact that NVIDIA does make optimizations towards 3DMark. They've been caught doing it numerous times.

And there's really no point in 3DMark scores anyways since it's not reflective to real world performance for the most part.
Old August 2, 2008, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I think it's a pretty well known fact that NVIDIA does make optimizations towards 3DMark. They've been caught doing it numerous times.

And there's really no point in 3DMark scores anyways since it's not reflective to real world performance for the most part.
That's true, but it's like the bench-press for working out, and the 1/4mile for acceleration. The first thing someone asks when they hear that you work out is... what can you bench? When you get a hot car or motorcycle, what'll she do in the quarter? Bench-press isn't wholly indicative of overall body strength(mostly upper pecs, deltoids and triceps), and 1/4 mile isn't wholly indicative of how quick a car is(it may run a 13 second 1/4 but need to be revved to 8000rpm in each gear to do it..yet's a dog in the city).

Last edited by 1Tanker; August 2, 2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old August 2, 2008, 01:07 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

yah, And when your vid card is 30% faster than your old one in every test but 3dmark06, you start to smell something.
Old August 2, 2008, 03:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
That's true, but it's like the bench-press for working out, and the 1/4mile for acceleration. The first thing someone asks when they hear that you work out is... what can you bench? When you get a hot car or motorcycle, what'll she do in the quarter? Bench-press isn't wholly indicative of overall body strength(mostly upper pecs, deltoids and triceps), and 1/4 mile isn't wholly indicative of how quick a car is(it may run a 13 second 1/4 but need to be revved to 8000rpm in each gear to do it..yet's a dog in the city).
Yeah I know what you mean. 3DMark is somewhat of a standard amongst enthusiasts even though it's not the greatest standard.

NVIDIA can really skew results now with their PhysX capability.

Perhaps ATI will do some "tweaks" to 3DMark as well in later driver revisions...