Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2008, 04:35 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

droooooollllllll

Wish I had enough time to enjoy a card like this.

Its hard to justify buying one for the amount of time I would actually be gaming with it.

It would end up running firefox and displaying emails 97% of the time.
Old July 29, 2008, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The card is sick. Disgustingly powerful. And beats the GTX 280 hands down. The ironic thing is that the sites that "previewed" it are using drivers that are about 2 revisions old right now and will probably be 4 - 5 revisions old by release date so expect performance to increase over what you have seen.
I'm not surprised to hear that. Despite that, my brief experience with my 3870X2 left me rather cold towards multi-card setups, considering that it should have been an upgrade from a 8800GTS 640MB. At this point, I'm finding that the "minimums" hurt my gaming experience far more than the "maximums" help, so the GTX280 won my business this time around.
Old July 29, 2008, 09:24 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I love being able to talk about some of the X2 stuff before NDA is lifted..since the Preview NDA has lifted anyways.

The card is sick. Disgustingly powerful. And beats the GTX 280 hands down. The ironic thing is that the sites that "previewed" it are using drivers that are about 2 revisions old right now and will probably be 4 - 5 revisions old by release date so expect performance to increase over what you have seen.
What matters to me is:
- micro-stuttering?
- minimum fps?
- and how many games is CF broken or not working well in

Reviewers loved to praise the 3870X2 Crossfire sandwich, & i bought one to try out.
I knew in less than 30 minutes that there wasn't a chance in the world i'd be keeping the POS.

I would really like to see the negatives examined, as reviews always show SLI/CF as so awesome, & yet so many users do not agree.

Unless all those drawbacks are all magically gone, SLI/CF & sandwich cards are of no interest to me.
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64
Old July 29, 2008, 11:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well, THIS is the latest iteration of the microstuttering issue. And a truly bastardized iteration it is, too.

To be honest, I suspect that it's going to be a much lesser issue with the new cards, simply because of of how much more horsepower they're packing. One of the causes is (apparently) excessive CPU power to GPU power, which just altered drastically with the latest generation of cards.