Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2008, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My BFG 8800GTX had a "tested" sticker on the antistatic bag. What they tested I don't know but it worked well enough. As you say some things have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
While it is NVIDIA's chipset that are at fault, I still wonder how are BFG, etc, still selling these cards - don't they TEST their cards, regardless of who's fault it is, there is lack of QC, both sides.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old August 3, 2008, 07:31 PM
MVP

This NOT just a BFG issue people...it's an epidemic of fail with many different brands.

Do you get overheating issues with your GTX 280 ? - nV News Forums
Overheating and similar issues with GeForce GTX 280 - nV News Forums
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64
Old August 3, 2008, 10:12 PM
Top Prospect

One thing that I learned years ago is that regardless of the brand, BFG, EVGA, XFX, ASUS, Palit, etc. these cards are all made at the same sweatshop production factories in China. The cards are stamped out by the hundreds of thousands. The sticker that's applied to them afterwards determines the brand, although some companies will choose a custom cooling solution or some minor variations over the stock Nvidia design. As far as the cards being "inspected" or "tested" by BFG or any other company, that's a load of bs. China does not know or care about the term "quality control". That is why there are so many defective cards being shipped out, and they come from every "manufacturer".

This is not a new thing either, it has been happening for years, such as with many of the old 6800 Ultras, 7900's etc.

I've been there before, and believe me, I consider myself damn lucky that my GTX280 isn't suffering from any overheating issues. Yet.
The company that is ultimately responsible for this is nVidia, not their puppet distribution channel.

Not that any of that does the consumer any good, does it:help:
4G GSkill DDR3 2000 Ripjaws
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM

Last edited by Retro; August 3, 2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old August 3, 2008, 10:20 PM
MVP

I believe it's Foxconn that does all the manufacturing, yes.

The brands simply slap a sticker on, & sell it

It's all great till you get bad batches like there is with the GTX 280...
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64
Old August 3, 2008, 10:31 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
I believe it's Foxconn that does all the manufacturing, yes.

The brands simply slap a sticker on, & sell it

It's all great till you get bad batches like there is with the GTX 280...
Exactly. I have heard that it's Foxconn as well. Appropriate name

As I mentioned, it hasn't been all rosy for me either in the past with some previous nVidia series. And that was when rma's to the US cost a fortune in shipping and duty fees. I don't want to have to do that again, but every time you buy a new video card, you just never know if it's going to screw up on you.
4G GSkill DDR3 2000 Ripjaws
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM
Old August 3, 2008, 11:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
My BFG 8800GTX had a "tested" sticker on the antistatic bag. What they tested I don't know but it worked well enough. As you say some things have changed.
LOL - you really want to know what "tested" means ? It means they put the graphics card on their test system and powered it up - it's not dead = it works :D Do you honestly think they put it through actual thermal testing, burnin, etc ? No they don't.
Old August 3, 2008, 11:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just thought I'd throw my 0.02 in and say that I saw this one coming a mile away since the day I read Skymtl's review and where he mentions that the card ran very hot thought to myself we're going to have another 8800GT fiasco on ours hands here, however things will cool down no pun intended once thermalright and the rest of cooling manfacturers release their monster GTX series coolers.

Anyone starting to see a little trend here...

EE
Old August 4, 2008, 04:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yea I wasn't sure but suspected it was just a boot test, it was the first card Id had that had such a sticker.

I assume the factories that assemble the cards at least test a sample of cards from a "batch", though, just to get a handle on the cards quality? Be interesting to know more about the QC process- although Chinese QC is not the best at the moment.

Quite a few people have GTX280's so it might be worth doing a more quantitative survey on this site to see how widespread this problem is...quick yes or no vote would be fine as long as people don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
LOL - you really want to know what "tested" means ? It means they put the graphics card on their test system and powered it up - it's not dead = it works :D Do you honestly think they put it through actual thermal testing, burnin, etc ? No they don't.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.

Last edited by magictorch; August 4, 2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old April 1, 2011, 10:46 AM
Rookie

I bought one of these cards about 2 years ago and have always thought the performance has been pretty poor but i always just turned a blind eye to it...I was just wondering whether you guys think i might be successful in trying to RMA the card now? I have the same problems as some of you were experiencing like the card soaring to temps of 90+ degrees after a minute of gameplay...
thanks in advance!
Old April 1, 2011, 11:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombxx View Post
I bought one of these cards about 2 years ago and have always thought the performance has been pretty poor but i always just turned a blind eye to it...I was just wondering whether you guys think i might be successful in trying to RMA the card now? I have the same problems as some of you were experiencing like the card soaring to temps of 90+ degrees after a minute of gameplay...
thanks in advance!

Wow, old thread ressurrection. However you do have a sincere question.

First who is the manufacturer of the card you have? Secondly is it still within warranty?

If not theN I would just recommend replacing it with something newer. THe 200 series cards are old news now, and there are much more efficient platforms available from both sides of the camp.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com