Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2008, 05:05 PM
Rookie

Mine isn't overheating. Just bought a BFG GTX 280 OC, and OC'd it right out of the box to 700/1157 - temps are 51C idle, 71C load. Which is lower then my XFX 9800GX2 at stock settings.
Old July 31, 2008, 06:36 PM
Top Prospect

No overheating problems with my EVGA vanilla 280 either. Low 40's at idle, in the low 70's at load. Strangely enough, I get a slightly higher idle temp now with the 177.79 driver than I did before with the 177.41 or 177.70. It was about 39 degrees at idle originally, now about 44, with the same ambient room temp. I saw this issue posted on the EVGA forums, and thought it was bogus, but there is something different with the 177.79 drivers indicated temperatures, using GPU-Z or Precision.
I've got to stop messing with these daily releases of beta drivers
4G GSkill DDR3 2000 Ripjaws
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM
Old July 31, 2008, 07:19 PM
MVP

I got a BFG GTX 280 OC.

Defective right outta the box

The stupid thing would shoot from 50-70C idle to 105+C load in less than a minute, & as soon as it hit 100C, it'd start chugging & stuttering like mad.

The defective cards can't be "fixed" by airflow.

I tried mine out with room temps of around 15C, which my house fan blasting air over the open side of the case, & it still shot from 50C to 105-108C in a minute of playing GRID.

I'm still waiting for it from RMA...
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64
Old July 31, 2008, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wow that sucks ! Coming from BFG I'm surprised - Is there a round QC sticker on your card ? There was one on mine.
Yeah you have one of those defective chips.
Old August 1, 2008, 11:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've heard thermalright will very soon be releasing a sink for them. They seem to make the best aircoolers, excellent quality but a little pricey if you don't get a deal.

I'm curious as to whether anyone's made a mounting plate to fit the old HR-03 plus to the GTX200 core, it might fit as the core sink is huge on that. If it does it ashame they don't sell seperate mount plates as you could pick up an HR03 2nd hand pretty cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_pulse View Post
I came across this in a forum while doing a search for aftermarket cooling for GTX 280 which there is none made as of yet.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old August 2, 2008, 11:44 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
I've heard thermalright will very soon be releasing a sink for them. They seem to make the best aircoolers, excellent quality but a little pricey if you don't get a deal.

I'm curious as to whether anyone's made a mounting plate to fit the old HR-03 plus to the GTX200 core, it might fit as the core sink is huge on that. If it does it ashame they don't sell seperate mount plates as you could pick up an HR03 2nd hand pretty cheap.
Thermalright is bringing out the HR-03GTX heatsink this month for the GTX260/280. SKYMTL did try some of the other HR-03's in the EVGA GTX280 review, but it was a no go.
I wish it was possible as I have an unused HR-03GT sitting in it's little brown box.
Guess I'll be forking out the dough for the HR-03GTX as soon as it's available
4G GSkill DDR3 2000 Ripjaws
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM
Old August 2, 2008, 05:25 PM
MVP

My replacement BFG GTX 280 OC arrived, & it's defective also.
Exact same issues.

nVidia = nonexistent QC.
Old August 2, 2008, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
My replacement BFG GTX 280 OC arrived, & it's defective also.
Exact same issues.

nVidia = nonexistent QC.
Don't blame nVIDIA - you purchased from BFG - They should know better by now before using defective chipsets to properly test them., you know when they come with the "FTW" stickers - I can think of a lot of words to describe "FTW" It was said recently that NVIDIA has set aside $200 million or so to deal with a massive RMA that's about to take plass because of known notebook GPUs AND desktop GPUs that are defective (thermal issues), they even said they would release a driver to update the card to run at a lower clock - and what's even worse is that NVIDIA will NOT disclose exactly which chipsets are affected and why - but some sources claim that the 260/280 are part of this so-called bad batch horror.. Some rumor has it that some 8800GT were having this problem, in fact BFG released a BIOS update to its 8800GT to address heat/fan issues. Looks like NVIDIA is cutting corners and buying a graphic card now is like playing the lottery - or a box of chocolate - you never know what you'Re going to get - and from some sources who work at distributor level, been told that the failure rate on components have gone up at an alarming rate, sometimes as high as 40% on some components!

Last edited by DarKStar; August 2, 2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old August 3, 2008, 02:22 PM
MVP

I blame both of them.

But mostly nVidia, since this issue is happening to many many people using all different brands of cards.

nVidia is cutting corners like you wouldn't believe these days.

I send out dead nForce chipset-based HP notebooks back to HP for repair every week at werk.
Likely 4 or 5 a week, & we're small.

The worst thing is, HP replaces the mobo, & in the last two months, i've had two customers come back with repeat dead motherboards.
Guy had his repaired one (they replaced mobo) die a couple months later.
Girl previously owned an HP, it ran out of warranty & she didn't know about the 2 yr. recall warranty for them, so she bought a new one, & the new one crapped out as well.

That issue is huge.
In fact, if you bought an notebook with nVidia MCP or GPU, you have a fantastic chance of it crapping out in a year or two.

It's a joke really.

Now we have the GTX 280 fiasco they are doing very well covering up, not to mention the piles of craptastic nForce desktop boards that crap out.

I'm not biased; i buy whatever is best for the money...but nVidia doesn't even seem to be attempting QC on anything these days.
Old August 3, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
I blame both of them.

But mostly nVidia, since this issue is happening to many many people using all different brands of cards.
While it is NVIDIA's chipset that are at fault, I still wonder how are BFG, etc, still selling these cards - don't they TEST their cards, regardless of who's fault it is, there is lack of QC, both sides.

Quote:
nVidia is cutting corners like you wouldn't believe these days.
Well that's to be expected when there is major competition and at the extreme low prices we are paying now - companies have to cut somewhere. It's not just NVIDIA that is cutting corners, but quite a few companies - motherboards, sound cards, hard drives (look at Seagate and the high failure rate on a batch of Baracudas 7200.10), look at what happened with Maxtor, I can go on and on....

Quote:
It's a joke really.

Now we have the GTX 280 fiasco they are doing very well covering up, not to mention the piles of craptastic nForce desktop boards that crap out.
DO you remember the capacitor fiasco back then, when some motherboard manufacturers were using faulty capacitors from a batch that was circulating ? Now whenever I buy anything, and I buy a lot of hardware, I inspect it visually from all sides, and I have yet to have something fail on me, however, what worries me the most is the high failure rate on hard drives - I always used Maxtor and I can open a store and sell all the old ones I have that still work - the good old times - now all I hear about from distributors is the 40% failure rate on hard drives - that is scary shit ! was told about the high RMA rate of Seagate 7200.10 series and now it seems even the .11 series, it's amazing - I think these companies should be held liable and there should be a class action suit and EVERYONE who's purchased these products should get compensation not only a replacement but money for the waste of time and the anger / frustration that it causes.

Quote:
I'm not biased; i buy whatever is best for the money...but nVidia doesn't even seem to be attempting QC on anything these days.
Well they are not alone - Add Seagate, ASUS, eVGA, Sony to your list among 500 other names.