Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 25, 2008, 05:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Damn Arctic Cooling..

Hey all, I ran into a bit of a problem right now. about 3 weeks ago, I went out to Anitec and bought an Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme. You know? The one with three fans and full coverage?

Anyways, when I was playing TF2 earlier, I was noticing that the game was artifacting. I alt-tabbed and checked with Nvidia Monitor and found out that my GPU was going over 100C. Now, this made me panic and I turned off the computer. When I opened up my case, I tried to touch the card/cooler and I was burned really badly.

After a while, when the card was no longer hot, I powered up the system and noticed that the fans on my cooler weren't working. I thought maybe the power to the fan plug was loose, so I took my card out and checked it out. I took the fan from my stock cooler and plugged it in. I powered it up and the fan was spinning, so I knew that it wasn't the card's problem. I tried to plug in my AC Acclero's fan into the card again, and powered up the system. The fans didn't spin.

Now, what do you suggest I do? Go directly to AC, or talk to Anitec about getting a replacement? Or should I try to fix it myself?
Old July 25, 2008, 05:51 AM
Top Prospect

Have a talk to the shop you bought it from and explain that it was "dead on arrival" (DOA) and that the fans don't work, what is their policy on defective goods. If they are not helpful definitely shoot of an email to the manufacturer and explain the problem and how your old fans "do work", that you received the product DOA and see what they say. Don't attempt to fix something that you bought because it may void any warranty you have and you lose any potential support, only after exhausting all other avenues then you try and fix it.
Old July 25, 2008, 05:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

But on the AC site, it says that if I contact my dealer, then I could get spare parts to fix the cooler myself. It is fully covered by AC, at least, to my understanding.
Old July 25, 2008, 06:03 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Hold on, the fans get plugged DIRECTLY into the card? Are you sure?
Old July 25, 2008, 06:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I'm sure. Its on the instructions/manual. (Yeah.. I actually read the manual.. )
Old July 25, 2008, 06:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

wooo i thought all aftermarket coolers could not be plugged it into the cards power source?? can yu tell what the fan speed is since its plugged into the card?
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old July 25, 2008, 07:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

I also thought that they would get plugged into the PSU/mobo - never had any Arctic Cooling kit, but are all fan connectors on any video card the same - I can't see it.

Old July 25, 2008, 07:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Uhh, apparently, the Accelero Xtreme can. When I first bought the cooler, I was able to change the fan speed with RivaTuner, and I knew it was working since the noise would change.
Old July 25, 2008, 07:28 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Interesting, seems like my Arctic Cooling rep agrees. The fans are PWM controlled through the card.

So, what you are saying is that the fans WERE working and now they are not, correct? If so, can you plug it back into the card and see if Rivatuner can still adjust the fan speeds? If not, fan it READ the fan speeds through its monitor?
Old July 25, 2008, 07:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Interesting, seems like my Arctic Cooling rep agrees. The fans are PWM controlled through the card.

So, what you are saying is that the fans WERE working and now they are not, correct? If so, can you plug it back into the card and see if Rivatuner can still adjust the fan speeds? If not, fan it READ the fan speeds through its monitor?
Yeah, they were working before, but not anymore. I plugged the fans back into the card, opened up RivaTuner, and tried to change the fan speed. It would let me, but then I wouldn't hear any change in noise, and I can even see that the fan isn't working. And uhh, no program read the fan speed, so yeah.