Old July 13, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default 4870X2 Preview

Just saw this on Hardocp

[H] Enthusiast - AMD ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 Preview

edit: wrong link lol
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 13, 2008, 11:15 PM
MVP
F@H

Very interesting. I only skimmed it because trying to view all that on a 7" eeepc is kind of annoying..but from what I saw It's pretty impressive so far. Since it's only a preview we have to take it with a grain of salt, but really it can only get better with updated bios and drivers.

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12
Old July 13, 2008, 11:34 PM
Rookie

This is looking really promising. Hopefully it will come out soon and the prices will be competitive (substantially less then the gtx 280) :) Downside is that two of these cards in crossfirex is really going to bottleneck a lot of machines, looks like 3.6ghz is the absolute minimum. Ah well, i'm still excited!
Old July 14, 2008, 02:24 AM
MVP
F@H

Another nice article on Anandtech: AnandTech: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 - R700 Preview: AMD's Fastest Single Card

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12
Old July 14, 2008, 02:59 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

DriverHeaven, PCPer, Techreport, Extremetech.
SKYMTL, yours (p)review?
Old July 14, 2008, 03:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

Looking pretty promising, but seriously, some of these sites need to quit using CPU's clocked at 3.0GHz.
Old July 14, 2008, 06:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The problem with overclocking is that some people don't even know what it is, and it voids the warranty. I would actually prefer the overclocked test systems, but we have to realise that most people who game have the stock heatsink on. Consumers just buy what the CSR tells them (which is a shame). This also bites down to what AMD and Intel are doing right now. Intel is going to a totally new architecture, and AMD is improving on what is needed to be fixed. As far as technology goes, we need these improvements because software is becoming well ahead of hardware these days.

Also these are just previews, they are not a thorough review of what's to come. As people have already said, take this as a grain of salt. Right now, technology is a really big mixed bag of nuts.
Old July 14, 2008, 08:29 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I probably wouldn't have posted a preview even if we were allowed. These are very early engineering boards with horribly broken drivers which BSOD'd for me more than worked on Vista x64. I feel that posting a preview up at this time would serve as an injustice to both the product and the readers since performance is not indicative of the final product.
Old July 14, 2008, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They also don't have anything to compare the card to. I love how the Hardocp review all labels the graphs as "apples to apples" but how can you possibly tout a two chip card versus a single. Give me a GTX280X2 and show me some benchmarks then. I've never trusted ATI's drivers and I still don't. Sure this is all early but once Nvidia waits out the release of this card and matches prices I'm willing to bet this won't stay in ATI's favour that long. It's still too early though and even my own remarks are at best guesses.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 14, 2008, 09:41 AM
Allstar

That is but one reason your reveiws are reguarded so highly Sky. Not having your main objective being first to show off a product but give us readers usefull and actual performance info we can ourselves expect from a product. Looking forward to this reveiw and contemplating an upgrade(costly....wife will shoot me kinda upgrade lol)
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd