Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2008, 10:12 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
They also don't have anything to compare the card to. I love how the Hardocp review all labels the graphs as "apples to apples" but how can you possibly tout a two chip card versus a single. Give me a GTX280X2 and show me some benchmarks then. I've never trusted ATI's drivers and I still don't. Sure this is all early but once Nvidia waits out the release of this card and matches prices I'm willing to bet this won't stay in ATI's favour that long. It's still too early though and even my own remarks are at best guesses.
I hate to break it to you but there are two things that should be said here:

- In Vista, ATI's drivers are ALOT more stable than those from Nvidia. Load up the new WHQL Nvidia drivers and their own nTune software and tell me what you get? BSOD? Yup. Or load up a G92 card and CoH DX10, horrible performance.

- Nvidia has nothing on their roadmap at this point to counter the HD4870X2. Nothing. If they do have something, it will be a band-aid solution like the 9800GX2 and will consume disgusting amounts of power even if it is based on a 55nm manufacturing process.
Old July 14, 2008, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
They also don't have anything to compare the card to. I love how the Hardocp review all labels the graphs as "apples to apples" but how can you possibly tout a two chip card versus a single. Give me a GTX280X2 and show me some benchmarks then. I've never trusted ATI's drivers and I still don't. Sure this is all early but once Nvidia waits out the release of this card and matches prices I'm willing to bet this won't stay in ATI's favour that long. It's still too early though and even my own remarks are at best guesses.
I guess it's apples to apples in the sense of price and in the sense of using one single PCB.
Old July 14, 2008, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

With the current games available, I dont really see the need for that much power. Having the best and greatest, is really nice. But, other than crysis (wich I dont play online) I dont see the need of that much power to play the current titles. Sure if you play on 30 inches screen, maybe.

Anyway, all the new make cards make the ''older'' really cheap. So taht is a plus for me

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old July 14, 2008, 05:43 PM
Top Prospect

When the physic gets some wind in its sail and that it is the GPU that computes it... the power will be welcome, i also think that multi-GPUs on the same board will be better for this type of application. Apparently Physic will be the next big thing. We know that ATI already suports Havock and that Nvidia has agreed to share Physics with them....(or is this just a rumor)
Old July 14, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Given some of the results this card is going to be very nice.

I really like the fact that they have there own custom aa that doesn't hoover up the memory frame buffer. I was a bit sceptical at first that 512 on the 4870 wasnt going to cut it but not any more.Cant wait for the new drivers.

Without these cards things would be a lot less interesting and more expensive. Plus the images look crisper on these ATI cards.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old July 14, 2008, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I am not that impressed. Performance is exactly the same as 4870 CF. But if the rumored price of 500 bucks is true then I would be very excited for the card. I should have waited to buy the 4870's. But ohwell.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 14, 2008, 06:53 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Early engineering samples with early BIOS and beta driver = this type of performance. Imagine when they have worked out the kinks with the interconnect with the latest BIOS and the drivers mature.
Old July 14, 2008, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I bet its a bit more than 500 by the time it hits the shelves as I think theres a 4850cf too going under it. As for 4870 crossfire I'm hoping the driver support will be enhanced alongside the X2. You may be out of change Belgolas by about $70-80 when they hit the shelves in a month but you still got a nice set of cards with good oc headroom for the future.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.