Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   My 8800GT overheats, need advice (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/8501-my-8800gt-overheats-need-advice.html)

Spblue July 10, 2008 09:13 PM

My 8800GT overheats, need advice

Hi everyone. I bought a Galaxy 8800GT back in January. I got the version with the custom heatsink/fan setup, it looks a bit like a Coolermaster one. Since last month though, my computer would freeze after 5 or 10 minutes after starting a 3d game. I checked that the fan was still running fine and cleaned out the heatsink properly but it didn't make a difference.

I can manage to run games fine only if I underclock the card 50% using ATITool. I'm not sure why it started to overheat all of a sudden, when it used to work just fine. What would be my best course of action? I don't have a spare PCI-E card, so sending it back to the US for repair is kinda iffy for me. From what I heard, it can take over a month before they send another card back, plus I would have to pay shipping wouldn't I?

I thought about buying an Accelero S1 heatsink for the card, but together with shipping and some fan for it it would cost me over $50, and who knows if it would fix my problem, maybe it's the card that's faulty. I'm just unsure what to do. Maybe I should buy a new card from ncix, send this one back for repairs and sell it when it comes back? If so, what card do you guys recommend? I just hate having to replace it after only 4 months of use. I don't think I'll ever buy a Galaxy card again.

enaberif July 10, 2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spblue (Post 68174)
Hi everyone. I bought a Galaxy 8800GT back in January. I got the version with the custom heatsink/fan setup, it looks a bit like a Coolermaster one. Since last month though, my computer would freeze after 5 or 10 minutes after starting a 3d game. I checked that the fan was still running fine and cleaned out the heatsink properly but it didn't make a difference.

I can manage to run games fine only if I underclock the card 50% using ATITool. I'm not sure why it started to overheat all of a sudden, when it used to work just fine. What would be my best course of action? I don't have a spare PCI-E card, so sending it back to the US for repair is kinda iffy for me. From what I heard, it can take over a month before they send another card back, plus I would have to pay shipping wouldn't I?

I thought about buying an Accelero S1 heatsink for the card, but together with shipping and some fan for it it would cost me over $50, and who knows if it would fix my problem, maybe it's the card that's faulty. I'm just unsure what to do. Maybe I should buy a new card from ncix, send this one back for repairs and sell it when it comes back? If so, what card do you guys recommend? I just hate having to replace it after only 4 months of use. I don't think I'll ever buy a Galaxy card again.

** edit **

re-read.

install riva-tuner and ramp up the fan speed.

Spblue July 10, 2008 09:32 PM

I did not install any aftermarket heatsink on the card. The cooler that came with the card is the one I have installed and I never touched it, except to clean it after the card started to crash. I only said I thought about buying an Accelero S1 to fix my problem, except that I'm not sure I wouldn't just be throwing money away.

I just said that the version I got of the Galaxy card was the one with the Coolermaster-like heatsink/fan. I figured I'd specify because there were some versions of this card with the standard Nvidia reference cooler.

Ncix link for the card:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...y%20Technology

Spblue July 10, 2008 09:35 PM

I already tried that, the fan for this card is stuck at 100%. The thing is, the temps are actually pretty good, even under load they only reach 70C or so. I have no idea why it crashes, except I figure it has to do with overheating, since it stops crashing when I underclock it.

enaberif July 10, 2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spblue (Post 68178)
I already tried that, the fan for this card is stuck at 100%. The thing is, the temps are actually pretty good, even under load they only reach 70C or so. I have no idea why it crashes, except I figure it has to do with overheating, since it stops crashing when I underclock it.

70c is too high.

Case? Airflow?

b1lk1 July 10, 2008 09:48 PM

70C shouldn't cause lock-ups. Try uninstalling and reinstalling video drivers. Skip the Accelero and get a new card if you are not wanting to wait for the RMA.

burebista July 10, 2008 10:04 PM

What PSU do you have? If you run it at standard speeds (not 50% less) 600/1500/900 do you still have problems?
As for new card go for HD48x0.

Spblue July 10, 2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burebista (Post 68187)
What PSU do you have? If you run it at standard speeds (not 50% less) 600/1500/900 do you still have problems?
As for new card go for HD48x0.

This card has the RAM clocked at 2.0Gh by default, but even lowering it to 600/1800 for the GT it still crashes. In fact, it still crashed at 400/1500, although it took a while. I'm wondering, there's no heatsink at all on the RAM and the voltage controller. Could it just be that? Hmm....

Maybe I should get a HD4870 card and just RMA this one and sell it aftewards. I'm starting to lean towards that solution. :sad:

slugbug July 10, 2008 11:04 PM

Did you connect both 6 pin connectors or only one? I moved the jumper to pins 2-3, overclocked it to 725/1812 and got a 3dmark06 score of 13826

Mibs July 10, 2008 11:05 PM

Although I don't think 70C is too high for the core, the other components on the card may be the problem. You mentioned the ram has no heatsink on it...are all of the ram chips uncovered or just a few? If you don't have decent airflow and there is nothing on the ram then it could easily be an issue of the ram getting too hot. Instead of getting another card by a pack of swiftech mc14 heatsinks http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...cture=Swiftech

Give those a try and see if it helps you before you rma the card or get another one.