Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2008, 07:39 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I was reading some of the reviews on NCIX for this card and there are many people that said the card was unstable, or over heating. One says the card actually caught on fire. There was one person that disconected the fan header from the card and put it on the motherboard. Maybe try this? Sounds like the card has some heat issues though...

1 2
Reviewed by Jason_P on 6-24-08 Experience: 6 Months
Strengths
-Great Heatpipe cooler.
-Voltage jumper for simple voltage mod.
-Great overclocker when voltage is increased, currently running 756/1782/2204 (Core/Shader/Memory)

Weaknesses
-Fan speed was too low when using the fan pins on the board, fixed by switching to a mobo fan connector (temps were very high 90C+).

Old July 11, 2008, 08:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecher View Post
I was reading some of the reviews on NCIX for this card and there are many people that said the card was unstable, or over heating. One says the card actually caught on fire. There was one person that disconected the fan header from the card and put it on the motherboard. Maybe try this? Sounds like the card has some heat issues though...

1 2
Reviewed by Jason_P on 6-24-08 Experience: 6 Months
Strengths
-Great Heatpipe cooler.
-Voltage jumper for simple voltage mod.
-Great overclocker when voltage is increased, currently running 756/1782/2204 (Core/Shader/Memory)

Weaknesses
-Fan speed was too low when using the fan pins on the board, fixed by switching to a mobo fan connector (temps were very high 90C+).

I already told you what to do.

If the fan speed doesn't increase then the fan is faulty.

There were a group of 8800s that the fan speed was faulty and stuck at 100% but trust me you'd know if your fan was 100%

You can't plug the fan header from a GPU onto your mobo it doen't fit they are very different unless they use a typical 3 pin fan header.

You need heatsinks on the ram but anything else no.
Old July 11, 2008, 09:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think there are adapters you can buy that makes the two pin into a three pin. One came with my 40mm fan that I bought.
Old July 11, 2008, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you have one of those large window box fans (like 20" or larger) then take off the case side panel and let it blow in there. If the crash stops, then it is a heat issue. I still say the card is gonna be bad and no amount of un-needed ramsinks is going to help.
Old July 11, 2008, 02:46 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Now that it is summer time, the ambient temps are higher, this isn't gong to help things get any cooler. Try to cool it down, but, sad to say, might be too little too late... RMA it if you can't get it stable with better cooling. The big fan idea from b1lk1 would work for cheap troubleshooting instead of buying anything for a card they may already be dead, or partly dead. I say try the big fan, can't hurt? Let us know what happens. good luck with the card. sucks when this happens.