Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1, 2008, 03:41 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Sapphire HD4850 Review Comment Thread (FINALLY!!)

Yes ladies and gents, our much anticipated review of the HD4850 has FINALLY been released. 26 pages, two full pages dedicated to the installation and performance of the Arctic Cooling S1 Rev.2, more games than you can shake a stick at and all brought to you by Sapphire.

Take a look here:

Sapphire Radeon HD4850 512MB Graphics Card Review

ENJOY!!!!!!!

Please use this thread for all your questions, comments, suggestions, rants and raves.

Old July 1, 2008, 03:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

Great review so far (only part way though). Noticed a minor typo though "odd looking magna characters." (Page 8) It should be manga, but with all the reviews, you're doing a better job than I would. Lets hope we got more members from all these new reviews.

A question about the graphs. I noticed some have three resolutions side by side, while others have each resolution split up into a different graph and each one showed average and minimum FPS. Why switch between the two?

Multiple resolution graph:

Single resolution graph:

Last edited by CanadaRox; July 1, 2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old July 1, 2008, 04:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nice review SKY, did you have a chance to try the Coolink GFXChilla on the card? I've got one sitting in a box just waiting to be installed, but I'm contemplating getting the S1 Rev instead, as long as it fits in my case. Wouldn't mind a comparison of the two coolers if you have time. Thanks!
Old July 1, 2008, 04:04 PM

It is quite simple:

In UTIII, ET: Quake Wars and Prey, there are issues with FRAPS at some resolutions. Basically, the game chugs down to minimal framerates during timedemo playback which it does not do in the game itself through those same areas. Unfortunately, the in-game benching tools used in these three games do no spit out a minimum frame rate. Only an average.
Old July 1, 2008, 04:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great review. Am so excited for my cards can hardly wait for them. And it will be my first multi card setup.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 1, 2008, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Perfect timing, I was just looking around in the forums and found this. Excellent review, tested every bit of it, hey and thanks for testing the Accelero cooler, at least we know it performs so well for a dirt-cheap cooler.

Just had 2 questions for you SKY please, first one is you put a 120mm fan on the accelero cooler, now can you run crossfire or does it cover the other slot too.

And lastly, any possibility you can test a 4850CF vs 4870CF, if possible. Thanks.
Old July 1, 2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
first one is you put a 120mm fan on the accelero cooler, now can you run crossfire or does it cover the other slot too.
Depends on the mobo. You need at least two PCI slots between the PCI-E slots to use the 120mm fan like that

Quote:
And lastly, any possibility you can test a 4850CF vs 4870CF, if possible. Thanks.
I will once the WHQL drivers are released. There will be a full CF review of both cards plus hybrid CF.
Old July 1, 2008, 05:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Perfect.. At the moment for the mobo I am looking at the P45 boards, like the Asus P5Q-E
Old July 1, 2008, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Another great review Sky.

You put in a bunch of work on it and it was well worth the wait.

Keep up the great work.

Old July 1, 2008, 06:02 PM
Top Prospect

Another great review and it is perfect timing as I just got my card. Sadly we don't get the same bundle as yourselves and only get the Driver and 3DMark06 CD's, no USB sampler or Cyberlink Power DVD7 and DVD Suite, still I'm very happy with the product.