Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2008, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default How to change fan speed for 4800

You can change the fan speed on the 4870 by editing a profile.

http://www.rage3d.com/BOARD/showthread.php?t=33926633

"I'd love to take credit for this, but someone else came up with it. I wouldn't be surprised if the person worked for ATI either as it was his first post. Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. All you need to do is change just two values in the XML which is attached to an ATI Profile you created. I tried this and it worked perfectly, other than the noise generated by 65% fan speed as suggested. I'll experiment later. But it works and easy as anything. I edited his instruction just a hair. See below ....

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...69&postcount=8

Make a profile in catalyst after turning on Overdrive and make sure clock and memory settings are correct.

For Vista

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Users\Your Windows ID\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

For XP

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows ID\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

Now go down the page until you see the following lines in the XML file ...

Automatic" />

23" />

Change the "Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value=" from "Automatic" to "Manual"

Then change "Property name="Want" value=" from "23" to your desired fan speed.
Save the file then reload the Profile you just edited in the CCC.

You will have to select the profile everytime you re-start the computer.

Edit:

After experimenting with my HIS HD4870 I found a fan-speed of 40% works best for me. My temps went from 79C at idle to 49C, and now 47C.

Backed off Fan to 35% like Runeman and still at only 48C. I'll take it."

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 30, 2008, 11:55 PM
Top Prospect

Sadly this doesn't work for me, I installed standard 8.6 (non-hotfix) so far but when I goto the folder to edit my "newly" created profile I can only find one there with no options for modding? Would like to do it though, GPU-z is showing 7% Fan at 72C!

I did find one thing though if you click the Activation tab you can select desktop shortcut and thus when logging in all you have to do is click that and it activates profile. In theory I imagine you could make several profiles this way, off differing fans speeds and click on shortcut depending on the speed you want (correlated with activity). Save all the shortcuts to a folder so they dont clutter.

Can't wait till they update RivaTuner and make life a bit easier.
Attached Images

Old July 1, 2008, 08:28 PM
Top Prospect

Damnit finally n00bed my way to the right folder and modded the profile and went form 68C with 0% FAN to 55C with 35% Fan at idle and imho I can't notice any audible difference (well certainly not significant). Others are also stating they refreshed the Thermal Paste with a decent variety and got another 2-3C reduction at Idle and 5-6C at load. Off to do that now.
Old July 1, 2008, 09:20 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
You will have to select the profile everytime you re-start the computer.
Others have noted that you actually "don't" have to select the profile and it will automatically goto that fan speed, and I agree and have found it automatically goes to 35% in my case.

Well after refreshing the Thermal Paste I was intially getting 51C but now it is 52C at idle and the Arctic hasn't bedded in yet.

So added modded Fan Profile from 68C to 55C, refreshed TIM 55C to 52C they are significant differences and make me feel a lot more comfortable.
Old July 2, 2008, 12:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

Works great. I made a profile @100%... and bzzzzzzz... 8100rpm's+. I'm using a 50% profile now, which = ~4700rpm and 43/44C idle(down from 54C). Interestingly, 100% only knocked off ~ 1/2C more than 50%...and was brutally obnoxious sounding. I also set core/mem speeds to 675/1025 in the profile.. up from 625/993. Mine is the HIS 4850 BTW.
Old July 4, 2008, 02:11 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Worked like a charm on my 4870; was 20%, 71C. Now is 35%, 48C!
Old July 4, 2008, 05:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I am running 1 card for now and it and set fan to 30 and under crysis GPU benchmark it only went to 72c.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."