Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2008, 10:10 PM
Top Prospect

Default Which brand off HD4850 should I get, want technical input

Okay after seeing all the reviews on the HD4850 and HD4870 I just can't help myself and have to get one. I currently have a Crucial x1900xtx and it's getting dated and holding back the rest of my system. Also I have Crysis coming in 2-3 days and don't want to play it on mid-low settings.

I have a choice of the following 5 Brands and would really like some technical input into which may be the better choice, especially after noting some reviews talk about the heat being generated from these cards:

GeCube
Gigabyte
Hightech
Powercolor
Sapphire

I come from Australia and we wont get some of the brands that you may, here is a link from on online retailer that carries the most brands of HD4850:

Australia Online VIP

All suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old June 27, 2008, 06:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

As long as they are the same reference cooler/card design, you won't find a difference between them. Only the warranties and the included in the box. If you can't get Visiontek (Lifetime warranty) get Gigabyte (3 year I think!)

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old June 27, 2008, 06:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I agree. I would do the following:

Looks at which price is more suitable for you and then see if the lowest priced card has good warranty support in your country. Then give their tech support a call / email with some mythical problem and see how well they answer you back. No answer = use another company. The same thing goes for RMA; wil lRMA be handled by the reseller or the manufacturer? If it is the manufacturer then where do you have to RMA to, what is their RMA turn-around time and are there any fees involved are all questions you should be asking.

That is the way I used to go about buying ALL of my major computer components.
Old June 27, 2008, 06:55 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks guys and loved the review on the 4870 SKY but they are twice the price than the 4850 down here.
Old June 27, 2008, 07:51 PM
Rookie

I personally got two Hightechs since they're cheaper on DC.
Old June 27, 2008, 08:02 PM
Top Prospect

Damn that is brilliant advice I must say after researching all 5 brands from their Global sites I found the following results (others may find this of interest), have sent some emails so awaiting them. Importantly of all 5 brands only Sapphire was noted to be easy to navigate to the Warranty Conditions:

Sapphire: were the only company that provided a clearly defined Warranty Policy

"Sapphire VGA products carry a 2 year warranty with all enquires carried out through your initial place of purchase. This can only be carried out by the original purchaser Please contact your Dealer/Reseller for Warranty / RMA service. They will require proof of purchase which includes the original invoice/documentation."

Sapphire Technology - warranty

Gecube seems to just baffle with bullcrap and have sent an email for a clearly defined policy:

GECUBE Internet, 3D Gaming&Entertainment

PowerColor again baffling manure almost implying there is no Warranty:

|- Welcome to the PowerColor World -|

HIS a small footnote down at the bottom of the support page but at least it could be found and was very clear:

"All HIS graphic cards carry one year warranty. For more warranty information, you can contact your local retailer or regional distributor."

HIS Graphic Cards - Power Up, Gamers!

Gigabyte again difficult to isolate the relevant info and an email has been sent:

GIGABYTE - Product - Graphics Accelerator - Overview - GV-R485-512H-B

Last edited by Boldeagle; June 27, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old June 27, 2008, 09:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

I would try to avoid Sapphire, HIS, and Powercolor. I've heard bad things about thair warranty service.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old June 28, 2008, 02:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How about leadtek and their offering of a lifetime warranty if I am not mistaken, as far as their RMA and support services I wouldn't have the faintest clue.
Old June 28, 2008, 05:21 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheator View Post
I would try to avoid Sapphire, HIS, and Powercolor. I've heard bad things about thair warranty service.
I got a sapphire and add issues with it, sapphire tech support reply in the 10 min i have emailed them, i was also "chatting" via email with the tech support. so far sapphire gave me a great tech support and service i would go for it in my next buy.

has for His i have no idea. Para_Frank could tell you his experience he have a HIS 3850 ....

Power color = avoid it and if someone prononce that name save your ass and RUN. Bad expérience, poor quality build, tech support is inexistant.

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old June 28, 2008, 06:13 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I have to admit that after doing a bit of research myself for this thread I am just stunned by the warranty information given by some of these companies that are ATI's board partners. Stunned because THERE IS NO INFORMATION. I mean seriously, what a joke.

I have however, found you a bit more information. Let's go through it.

Powercolor: Back in 2006 it was alluded in several Powercolor press releases that their cards would carry a lifetime warranty from that point forward. Source: [OC]ModShop - PowerColor offers Lifetime Warranty

Now there isn't any mention AT ALL on their site about warranty. Unreal.

HIS: 1 year warranty has been confirmed. However, HIS usually offers warranty support through the retailer you bought it from. I my opinion, having a somewhat local retailer handle RMA support for one year is better than having to RMA the card to God knows where during a warranty period of 2 years. However, this varies by retailer so check before taking the leap on this one.

Gigabyte: 3-year warranty on all GPUs has been confirmed through our Gigabyte rep.

ASUS: 3-year warranty has been confirmed through our ASUS rep.

Palit: 2-year warranty has been confirmed through our Palit rep.

My opinion is that you may pay a bit more but it seems that Gigabyte and ASUS have a very good RMA network set up in the Asia / Pacific region and are known for their quality boards. I would go that route.