Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 25, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

God that cooler is hot! Someone should get one and anodize it red and slap it on a 4870! LOL
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old June 25, 2008, 12:30 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
On this subject, Sky, did you get news from coolit about their solution for newer generation cards ? I am not asking you when you will do the review, but more if they delivered the unit as they said in another post.
I assume you are talking about the one for the GTX 280 cards. They offered but since I am so backed up with reviews right now, I would not have been able to do it justice. We will have a review in the future.
Old June 25, 2008, 12:53 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
However, I suggest y'all check out this sexy beast which will soon be released by Thermalright:

Ultimate CPU Cooling Solutions! USA

C'mon ladies, say it with me: Droooolll!!
I saw that as I was buying my Thermalright for my upcoming 4870... it's not released yet is it? Thermalright's website says it's a preview. But if it's anywhere near as good as their other stuff, I can see myself with another 4870 in about a year or two with one of those babies on the second one (my Rampage Formula should have enough room for two with aftermarket coolers).
Old June 25, 2008, 12:59 PM
Top Prospect

Well for a rushed review, it does not show. She is a sweet one! Nice job SKYMTL!
Old June 25, 2008, 01:09 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I should tell yo uguys this right now: if there was a doubt in my mind that this review would not have lived up to our quality standards here on HWC it would not have been published when it was. That is what happened to the HD4850 review (which is still not up, I know) and may happen again in the future if there is a review that is not up to snuff for NDA lift.

I would rather hold our ideals in place than sacrifice quality for hits.
Old June 25, 2008, 01:27 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Very nice card^^ I haven't actually owned an ATI card since the 9200 lol
It looks like AMD has resolved the problems ATI was having with their architecture and are selling a card for a half decent price again.
It's a shame when one company has such dominance that they can bleed the consumer dry and NVidea will now realize this as their market shares fall.
Old June 25, 2008, 01:35 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't had an ATI card since the 7000 ROFL, except a short stint with a 9800XT that caught fire. Literally.

That is one heck of a monster. The performance-to-price ratio is basically re-written (I remember the time when the King of the Mountain was the X800XT PE, which cost $900 back then...). This will be a major hurdle for nVidia, especially since the 9800GTX+ is not yet released.

GJ SKY, well done.
Old June 25, 2008, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

great review as always and really looking forward to the overclocking results.

ATI does need better board partners though
Old June 25, 2008, 02:17 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I wanted to eliminate as much CPU bottleneck as possible so cards can really start to show their true potential in our tests. I understand that not many people have a $1700 QX9770 but I would catch ALOT of flak if there was a bottleneck.

As for your question; it all comes down to the resolutions and IQ presets. Higher res and IQ = less CPU bottleneck.
Does its justify to buy a 4870 for someone play at 1280*1024 on a 19'' LCD with a 2.8Ghz amd opteron? or its just money waste and he/she should look for a 4850 instead?

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old June 25, 2008, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

WOW. SKYMTL you always manage to impress me with your reviews. And that goes to all HWC editors as well. I'm selling my 8800 GT for one of these. Now all I need to do is find a company that people can recommend. I really want to use my DuOrb on this card because it's been sitting in my room since February after having to RMA a card. I was too scared to put it back on. Do you know if AMD will convince manufacturers to provide a more 'modder friendly' warranty, because for the price of this card, you relaly can't beat it. The warranty is just holding me back though :(