Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 4, 2008, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
Thats ashame about the HR03 GT-I have a plus version and it takes up a lot of room with an NFP 12 fan.

Given the performance of the arctic solution in SKY's review of the 4850 I'm going to go for two of those in a crossfire rig but I still don't know if even that is possible with 120mm fans.
Yeah try that out and please let me know, at the moment I am in btw of choosing a 4850CF or one single 4870, so if I do go CF I will need some kind of cooling for 2 cards myself. I could go water cooling as I am planning for cpu only at the moment, but I haven't seen any blocks supporting 4800 series, unless you guys do.
Old July 4, 2008, 05:48 PM
Allstar

Are all 800 stream processors currently enabled on these cards?
OCZ SOLID 3 SSD|Seagate 1.0TB
2 X EVGA GTX 460 in SLI
Old July 4, 2008, 05:53 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbug View Post
Are all 800 stream processors currently enabled on these cards?
Yes they are.
Old July 4, 2008, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Yeah try that out and please let me know, at the moment I am in btw of choosing a 4850CF or one single 4870, so if I do go CF I will need some kind of cooling for 2 cards myself. I could go water cooling as I am planning for cpu only at the moment, but I haven't seen any blocks supporting 4800 series, unless you guys do.
Ive been thinking of what SKY said, what i might do is: flip the HR03 GT on the top slot and watercool the bottom one or add an acelero to the bottom one..my case wont let me mount a sink as big as the Hr03GT on the bottom slot with a decent fan. Thats if i can find a cheap X38 board-damn i wish P45 would work better for these cards in xfireOtherwise i may sell the 4870 and get the BFG GTX280 or 4870X2 on a P45.

Id really like to get by with just 1 4870 so hopefully they will unlock them a bit so I can oc it up with some watercooling or an HR-03. I only game at 1650*1080

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old July 4, 2008, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Ive been thinking of what SKY said, what i might do is: flip the HR03 GT on the top slot and watercool the bottom one or add an acelero to the bottom one..my case wont let me mount a sink as big as the Hr03GT on the bottom slot with a decent fan. Thats if i can find a cheap X38 board-damn i wish P45 would work better for these cards in xfireOtherwise i may sell the 4870 and get the BFG GTX280 or 4870X2 on a P45.

Id really like to get by with just 1 4870 so hopefully they will unlock them a bit so I can oc it up with some watercooling or an HR-03. I only game at 1650*1080
You know there was thread that CanadaRox had posted a link too, which showed that there basically hardly any improvement of using x16 over x8. I wish I could find it.. If you can well and good, I will be back later and see if I can..
Old July 4, 2008, 06:32 PM

What is wrong again with these cards on a P45??
Old July 4, 2008, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
What is wrong again with these cards on a P45??
Intel P45 Vs. X48 Crossfire Performance :: TweakTown
I looked at the above but I really dont know if I can trust it, theres a few discussions elsewhere in favor of the X38/48 but I need to see some hard evidence rather than hearsay-so confusing Id love to get that P45 T2Rs for under 200 and drop the extra money into another card.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old July 4, 2008, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I looked at the above but I really dont know if I can trust it, theres a few discussions elsewhere in favor of the X38/48 but I need to see some hard evidence rather than hearsay-so confusing Id love to get that P45 T2Rs for under 200 and drop the extra money into another card.
DFI hek yeah, that us the same board I was looking to invest in.
Old July 5, 2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:

I am guessing you missed this thread:

Hey Sky, heads up about x8/x8 CF.
Old July 5, 2008, 07:40 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

Thanks for the compliment and welcome!!

This is actually a very interesting question since I have seen a few people say that their cards idled at high temperatures and others have around my temps. There is another option to see your GPU temp right now and that is with GPU-Z. In GPU-Z you can click on the "Sensors" tab to get temperature readings that refresh a little more frequently than CCC. They both read from the same sensor so the temperatures should be the same but I prefer the GPU-Z method for now.

What are your load temperatures? To find this out, simply download ATITool and let the spinning box spin for about 10 minutes while keeping your eye on the GPU-Z sensor readout. I would love to know what your temperatures are under load.

I will pop in my other HD4870 tonight since I have a funny feeling that the TIM application or copper base isn't consistent on these cards.
I will dload these tonight and give em a whirl!

Originally when I was benching this card, the card never spun up. My whole first night was like that. I have a feeling it was not changing clocks like it was supposed to. Then someone read my mini user review at Rage and stated my scores looked lower than what he expected. I re-tested and I in fact got some higher scores! But then as I was playing Crysis or watching 3DMARK06 run, the fan would rev up and down repeatedly. Basically alternating between high and low speed the whole time in intervals of approximately 3 - 5 seconds. Almost like it was ... "oops to hot" ... "ok I'm fine now".... "oops hot again!". /sigh.

I hope they adjust this. I would simply prefer that the driver choose quiet with a regular fan speed and then as soon as 3D is on... Bam! Straight to 30% so you can just hear it or whatever but stay there so I am not distracted by the revving of the fan speed.

Coinciding with these intermittent fan speeds, my scores in some of the tests in fact improved! Weird.

I will dload ATITool and play around some.

C.