Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 24, 2008, 07:23 AM
Top Prospect

Default Hmm which 8800 gt to get XFX, BFG, or EVGA?

Trying to decide on a new video card for my 680i mobo, I'm torn between:

BFG OC for 159.99
Bfg Geforce 8800GT Oc 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I Hdcp Hdtv Out DIRECTX10 Video Card - DirectCanada

or

EVGA (not superclocked)- 159.99
EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Video Card - 512MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card 512-P3-N801-AR in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

or

XFX (not superclocked) - 179.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...2418&sku=26780

any help or experience would be great!! thanks :D

my budget is basically 150-200$. I would say the 9600 gt but since the 8800's are still better I'll tick with them. Unless of course someone has their two cents about them

ok turns out I just found the EVGA superclocked card for 169.99
EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Video Card - Superclocked Edition, 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card 512-P3-N802-AR at TigerDirect.com

and I can get the EVGA 9600 superclocked card for 150.00 too

life is so hard sometimes :(
~~~~~~~~~~Coolermaster Centurion 5~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by tgraszat14; June 24, 2008 at 07:36 AM.
Old June 24, 2008, 07:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

My BFG cards have been rock solid. They also have the best warranty going. I do not think you can go wrong with a BFG card. EVGA also has a great reputation.

Really, I think they are just competing on price. Buy whatever gives you the most bang for the buck.
Old June 24, 2008, 08:04 AM
Allstar

Last I checked, I think XFX has the best warranty (double life and mod friendly, plus you don't need a receipt). BFG and EVGA are both lifetime warranty if you register within 30 days, but you need to mail in the original receipt for an RMA. In this case I would just go with whatever is cheaper. If same price though, go with XFX
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old June 24, 2008, 08:08 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

All three brands are good, I would take the one with the highest GPU speed.
Old June 24, 2008, 10:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
Last I checked, I think XFX has the best warranty (double life and mod friendly, plus you don't need a receipt). BFG and EVGA are both lifetime warranty if you register within 30 days, but you need to mail in the original receipt for an RMA. In this case I would just go with whatever is cheaper. If same price though, go with XFX
You are right, the XFX double lifetime warranty is better. That would be a selling point for people who like to sell off their older gear. But there seems to be some confusion about how modder friendly they are. I see forum/review posts stating that but the official site says no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/Features/DoubleLifetimeWarranty.aspx#2
Products received by XFX must be in original condition and must have all original components in order to be covered. XFX does NOT warrant cards that have been tampered with (ie. Overclocked) by the user.
Old June 24, 2008, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My personnal choice would be EVGA. That is what I have and have had no issues with them at all.

Plus you can always use the step-up option within 90 days if you want something better. And their warranty covers you if you overclock and even if you install an aftermarket heatsink, as long as you install the original back on it when you send it back for an RMA.