Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2008, 06:22 PM
Top Prospect

games like CoH aren't as affected by large dips in fps the same way a fps game would be so therefore avg is fine. in a game like cod4 or hl2 you'd want to make sure your fps is never dipping below 30 or ideally 60 which is where seeing min fps is of use.
2 x Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum
2 x WD1500ADFD RAID 0
4 x WD5000AAKS RAID 0+1
Tt Armor Aluminum Tower
Enermax Galaxy 1000W DXX
DELL 2405FPW, 1905FPW
Old June 19, 2008, 07:56 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo View Post
games like CoH aren't as affected by large dips in fps the same way a fps game would be so therefore avg is fine. in a game like cod4 or hl2 you'd want to make sure your fps is never dipping below 30 or ideally 60 which is where seeing min fps is of use.
Agree 100%.
Old June 20, 2008, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I am going to go with a single 280 it looks like. I have two 8800GT right now that I can step up but I'd have to get a new PSU to run two 280's. Not sure if I'll step up both 8800's or just sell my month old akimbo 8800gt sc.. or if I'll step up both and sell my brand new corsair 750 and get a 1k lol

we'll see, but for now I started the process to step up one of the video cards.

:) wee can't wait!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old June 20, 2008, 09:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ack I would've waited one week for the 4870 reviews. I would NEVER tell anyone to wait a month or two. But, whatever floats your boat man. Happy fragging soon!
Old June 20, 2008, 11:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Encorp you must have some heck of a job or a money tree growing in the yard or that credit card of yours just keeps climbing, after pratically buying the most expensive 8800GT I'd think you be pretty broke by this point and time. Like I said in another post once my games start crawling back to 1280x1024 or less and are begging for an upgrade thats when I will consider upgrading, as for now I'm tappin out this round of nVidia releases.
Old June 21, 2008, 06:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha, well I bought these knowing I could step them up to 280's when they came out.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old June 21, 2008, 12:23 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I didn't read through the whole thread so it may have been asked before: what was the final overclock that you were able to achieve?
Old June 21, 2008, 08:01 PM
Top Prospect

Getting back to the DX10.1 issue......Who could blame them for not adhering to the DX10.1 specs. Last time I checked it wasn't uncommon to see some of the same gaming benchmarks running at 1/2 the speed in DX10. I'm just amazed how so many defend DX10, when there's nothing that suggests improvements in gameplay or imaging...in fact it's quite the opposite. I think we should all take up arms and march against the fearsome DX10 Warlord. Write your MP, senators, governors and the Queen!!! This has to be stopped.
@#!^%$&....I'm not bitter.
Old June 21, 2008, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have heard some of the mods on EVGA's site saying people should be careful going with 3 GTX 280 because of the power draw. Some are saying that it could blow the fuse if you don't watch it.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 22, 2008, 12:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am not suprise at all to starting hearing such things, its no wonder case manufacturers are beginning to encorporate or offer dual psu options. You have 1 for your system and 2 for your additional videocards, however I find it kind of ironic that while motherboards, cpu, and videocards toute "power saving features" we continually see the need for larger and larger power supply units to run these power saving featured rich motherboards and video cards. Honestly its quite a joke really shouldn't the power supplies be getting smaller rather then larger.