Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2008, 09:48 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Put it this way: if the card was completely saturating the PCI-E 16x interface, overclocking it would theoretically produce zero to very little performance gains. I saw the opposite at high resolutions with AA enabled.

The same goes for overclocked versions of GX2 cards. There are plenty of sites out there that tested overclocked GX2s (the ASUS GX2 TOP for example) versus stock ones on PCI-E 1.1 mobos and received noticeable performance gains.

For the final nail inthe coffin, I usually talk to Nvidia and ATI about which hardware would be best to test their hardware on (not like I would necessarily use it but it sometimes makes for interesting conversations) and in the case of Nvidia's GTX 280, they flat out said: it doesn't matter which mobo you use as long as you use the card on a PCI-E 16x slot. Indeed, even their Reviewer's Guide for the card doesn't ask for the use of a 2.0 mobo.

I don't know about you, but if I was Nvidia I would want to show my products in the best light possible and if that means recommending a PCI-E 2.0 mobo for a card, I would recommend the reviewer do so. IMO, Nvidia not specifying it and my conversations with them indicate their engineers are not worried about the PCI-E 1.1 mobo bottlenecking their cards.
Old June 19, 2008, 10:29 AM
Rookie

Thanks,

Appreciate your explanation and confirmation.
Old June 19, 2008, 12:50 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The 8800GTX willl be replaced but I think the max number of GPUs I will test is 9-10 for each review. That might prove to be WAY too much and I will have to eliminate the CoH test and replace with either CoD 4 and / or Devil May Cry 4 but I will give it a go for a few reviews at least.
sad to see my card go but i guess it needs to be done.

btw, LOVE the new graphs. min fps is something every review should have.

to the guy who has the gx2 and is sad because this one is barely better i'd take a look at hardocps review. i'd gladly pay $200 more for the 280 to get consistent fps and for the times when sli support sucks.
2 x Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum
2 x WD1500ADFD RAID 0
4 x WD5000AAKS RAID 0+1
Tt Armor Aluminum Tower
Enermax Galaxy 1000W DXX
DELL 2405FPW, 1905FPW
Old June 19, 2008, 12:57 PM
Allstar

I agree. MinFPS is all I really care about since I always use vsync. average and max means nothing if I get a slideshow once in a while. Min should be in every benchmark.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old June 19, 2008, 01:40 PM

Some benchmarks we can include it but others we can't. Take for example the CoH testing where we use VERY long gameplay sequences which are in real-time. The issue is that due t the ramdomness of games, there may be one area where there is TON of effects during one run but not the next. This would negatively impact one card while not the next so the results would be completely off. The same goes for max FPS.

The only thing that isn't impacted that much is the average FPS. Because we take such a large sample of 15 - 20 minutes (CoH and our upcoming Devil May Cry 4 benches) the average FPS is only impacted if there are huge areas of low FPS. Unlike some sites, we actually PLAY certain games and don't just run through a level with no baddies shooting at us. In other games like Half Life II and CoD4 we use timedemos which will give us a consistent minimum framerate from one card to the next.

I feel that this gives our reviews a slight edge over the majority of others out there.
Old June 19, 2008, 03:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

All I gotta say SKYMTL, is that you're worth every dollar we pay you.
Old June 19, 2008, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
All I gotta say SKYMTL, is that you're worth every dollar we pay you.
Sure you don't want to rephrase that? What you said was that he is worth nothing.(We don't pay him, right?)

He is certainly worth more than nothing and is definitely worth more than you or myself.
Old June 19, 2008, 04:00 PM
Allstar

I don't know. Does he get some of the add revenue from this site? I've accidentally clicked some a few times
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old June 19, 2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
I don't know. Does he get some of the add revenue from this site? I've accidentally clicked some a few times
Not my site. I am the public face.

And its a hobby, not my career.
Old June 19, 2008, 07:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Sure you don't want to rephrase that? What you said was that he is worth nothing.(We don't pay him, right?)

He is certainly worth more than nothing and is definitely worth more than you or myself.
Easy Mac, note the happy face on the end. It was a joke. If I want to know the answer to any hardware related question that I don't know myself, Sky would be the 1st person I'd ask. His work is much appreciated by me, that's for sure. Gav, double his pay! No, triple it!

Cheers,
Gord