Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2008, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The 4 series tests on X38 will be very interesting! (For obvious, selfish reasons)
Old June 18, 2008, 08:24 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I can't imagine any single card solution on the market today being bottlenecked by an 8x interface....but if I say that, someone will pull out that Bit-Tech article which raised more questions rather than answering anything.
Old June 18, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Question: Should I Step-up my two 8800GT Akimbo`s for two 260`s or 280`s?

It`ll cost me 808.00 to get two 280`s with the step up program, no money isn`t THAT big of a deal as I got a sweet bonus from the business trip i`m on. Although for a couple hundred less I can grab two 260`s

What are your guys oppinions?
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old June 18, 2008, 09:36 AM

I wish I could help you on that one but I haven't had the chance to test a GTX 260.
Old June 18, 2008, 09:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
It is ALREADY hell. I am in the process of converting all the GPU charts to something that I am sure you will ALL appreciate. It will involve ALOT more testing for every review but here is a bit of a teaser.....remember that this is preliminary and will have some changes, the bottom title is wrong, the "glow" around the card being tested will be removed and the jpg itself is a bit compressed

Heh.... I wonder how many folks looked real closely that that graph to see if anything accidentally slipped out...... :)

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old June 18, 2008, 10:35 AM
MVP

My System Specs

lol i think i see it but what about u jsut tell us sswilson
Old June 18, 2008, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I wish I could help you on that one but I haven't had the chance to test a GTX 260.
I`ll wait and see then!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old June 18, 2008, 10:50 AM
Allstar

Quote:
I can't tell you what I have or don't have but I can tell you that we are on both ATI's and Nvidia's release lists so it is more than likely that we will have reviews of new products the day the NDA is lifted.

Unfortunately, since we rely on the Nvidia partners for samples if they drag their feet or don't realize it takes more than a day to ship to Canada from the USA (unless they spend megabucks) we are screwed. Hence why you don't see a GTX 260 review yet and probably won't see one for the next week at least.

As for ATI reviews, I WILL be testing multiple cards. I haven't yet decided if I will have it in the first review or do a follow-up review afterwards. What I will probably do is test any upcoming ATI cards on my Blitz Extreme (8x / 8x PCI-E) and then when I get my new GPU test platform set up (probably Q9770, 4GB DDR2, X38 mobo) I will retest. That system should tide me over until Nehalem.
Oh, I see...

x8/x8, that's too bad. Hopefully it won't make too much of a difference. Seems that the bandwidth plays a huge role in some applications, while practically none in others. When will you be switching your setup, and what mobo are you looking to get?
Old June 18, 2008, 11:15 AM

I already have a DFI Lanparty X38 DK ready to go. Just waiting for the processor.

As the the 8x /8x both Nvidia's and ATI's engineers I have talked to agree: it won't negatively impact performance of ANY current sub-$500 GPU. If you look at the bandwidth numbers, a PCI-E 8x interface isn't anywhere close to being saturated.
Old June 18, 2008, 08:00 PM
Rookie

Great review Sky,

I'm also believing that pci-e 1.1 will not be saturated with a 280, contrary to paranoid speculation that I have come across. What's your opinion on that based off your knowledge and testing?

Thanks