Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2008, 05:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
For the fun of it I just tried my usual custom timedemo on Very High settings in DX10 @ 1280 X 1024. The resulting slideshow from the GTX 280 and GX2 was telling enough about two things:

- No one is going to but this card to run Crysis at 1280 x 1024 at very high settings
- Crysis is ahead of its time. It looked REALLY REALLY good...
- My custom timedemo is VERY different from the usual "benchmark" since that "built in" BS achieved a 32FPS average on the GX2. Optimizations anyone???
Word up man. I completely agree with you. It is WAY ahead of it's time. I think the media has layed down a "standard" of can it play Crysis? Somehow I believe that ATI and Nvidia are just whipping new cards up to rake in money just so that we can play Crysis better one frame per second better for each new card series...I dun know, but even this card STILL can't play Crysis at a decent framerate IMHO. It would still look pretty bad to me at 40 fps.

I give props for nvidia trying to pull out it's best, but they just couldn't hand over what we thought the card could really do. I will be looking very closely at the GTX 260 and HD 4870 because there's no way I'm spending $700 on a card that hasn't even been a revolution (because we are all in need of a change).

So SKYMTL, I can't wait to see what your other reviews will be. I'm sure the next couple weeks will be HELL! bwahahahahaha

Last edited by bojangles; June 18, 2008 at 05:04 AM. Reason: sentence rephrase
Old June 18, 2008, 05:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I finally got around to reading to reading the review, excellent job SKYMTL!!... I have to admit as a GX2 owner I'm somewhat disappointed, while it is definately a fast card and all, like almost everyone else, from a price/performance stand point I can't see myself shelling out 7 bills for a marginally faster card, especially when its looking like the ATI 4 series could be a bigger bang for the buck. On the plus side, the price drops for the GX2 should begin anytime since they are being discontinued, in fact, NCIX has the Galaxy GX2 available for $399 after $100 MIR (not that I'm a fan of Galaxy or MIR's) and I would think the others will follow suit. Also on the plus side, looking on EVGA's site, the GTX280HC card looks quite interesting, if you have deep pockeks you can run 3 of these water cooled puppies in SLI compared to just quad with GX2. Now I need to do is win the lottery!

Once again, Great job on the review SKY, keep up the good work

Old June 18, 2008, 05:40 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
So SKYMTL, I can't wait to see what your other reviews will be. I'm sure the next couple weeks will be HELL! bwahahahahaha
It is ALREADY hell. I am in the process of converting all the GPU charts to something that I am sure you will ALL appreciate. It will involve ALOT more testing for every review but here is a bit of a teaser.....remember that this is preliminary and will have some changes, the bottom title is wrong, the "glow" around the card being tested will be removed and the jpg itself is a bit compressed

Old June 18, 2008, 05:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Nice graph

Nice graph.

you sure you aren't hiding bars for some of the other card you are currently testing ?

By the way, if anyone feel like it, there is 4850 available on e-bay for 200 $.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old June 18, 2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
Nice graph.

you sure you aren't hiding bars for some of the other card you are currently testing ?

By the way, if anyone feel like it, there is 4850 available on e-bay for 200 $.
The 8800GTX willl be replaced but I think the max number of GPUs I will test is 9-10 for each review. That might prove to be WAY too much and I will have to eliminate the CoH test and replace with either CoD 4 and / or Devil May Cry 4 but I will give it a go for a few reviews at least.
Old June 18, 2008, 06:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I wonder if Nvidia wishes Crysis was never released. Its the one game that really takes the edge off the excitement around the new cards since the 8800 ultra was launched.

Think Ill wait till something can play it at very high-then I know I'm probably good for some future titles. Hopefully by the fall we will see the real crysis killers come into play. On the other hand maybe nothing can play it at very high in DX10 though due to rotten coding.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.

Last edited by magictorch; June 18, 2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old June 18, 2008, 07:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The 8800GTX willl be replaced but I think the max number of GPUs I will test is 9-10 for each review. That might prove to be WAY too much and I will have to eliminate the CoH test and replace with either CoD 4 and / or Devil May Cry 4 but I will give it a go for a few reviews at least.
I don't think you would have to test 9-10 cards each time SKY. Shouldn't it be safe to say that if you're using specialized benchmarking timedemos that you don't have to review the same cards over again? If you've already tested a certain card on that program, then it should be safe to say that it will perform the same time each time. The only time you would have to re-review a card is when you decide to use updated drivers or a new revision of the program. That's what I see that fits. You would save hours of burden on yourself.

Would the HWC reviewEEs agree on that?
Old June 18, 2008, 07:12 AM
Allstar

Ah, optimizations. Quake/quack anyone?

Just out of curiosity Sky, do you have a 4850 for testing? I'm planning on getting one (probably two). So, if you don't already, I wouldn't mind swinging by to lend you the cards for review.
Old June 18, 2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I don't think you would have to test 9-10 cards each time SKY. Shouldn't it be safe to say that if you're using specialized benchmarking timedemos that you don't have to review the same cards over again?
Yes and no. Considering ATI releases new WHQL drivers every month like clockwork I need to retest all ATI cards when the new driver is released. Nvidia seems to want to do the same thing with their new Forceware drivers (new WHQL released this week) so one way or another it is alot of work even with timedemos.
Old June 18, 2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_G View Post
Just out of curiosity Sky, do you have a 4850 for testing? I'm planning on getting one (probably two). So, if you don't already, I wouldn't mind swinging by to lend you the cards for review.
I can't tell you what I have or don't have but I can tell you that we are on both ATI's and Nvidia's release lists so it is more than likely that we will have reviews of new products the day the NDA is lifted.

Unfortunately, since we rely on the Nvidia partners for samples if they drag their feet or don't realize it takes more than a day to ship to Canada from the USA (unless they spend megabucks) we are screwed. Hence why you don't see a GTX 260 review yet and probably won't see one for the next week at least.

As for ATI reviews, I WILL be testing multiple cards. I haven't yet decided if I will have it in the first review or do a follow-up review afterwards. What I will probably do is test any upcoming ATI cards on my Blitz Extreme (8x / 8x PCI-E) and then when I get my new GPU test platform set up (probably Q9770, 4GB DDR2, X38 mobo) I will retest. That system should tide me over until Nehalem.