Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2008, 02:48 PM
Allstar

nice review,

but cant afford it right now, and would probaly would buy it anyway ....

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old June 16, 2008, 03:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Hold on, so you got your GX2 working now?
NO still waiting to get an adapter i got some cash this weekend sold 2 harddrives and a digital cameera so i should be good thanks tho
Old June 16, 2008, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ye gods, I've been scanning reviews of this card across the web... insane. No two sites seem to agree on anything, right down to things like power consumption and noise. Half of them have the GX2 spanking the GTX280, the other half vice versa... Kind of depressing, really.
Old June 16, 2008, 05:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

True enough that, but I trust this review over others, as its using my current cpu and same amount of memory, my memory is clocked slower, but the few frames I lose to that don't worry me overmuch.

All in all, a decent card, but money down ATI is going to spank nVidia with their 4870/4870X2.
Old June 16, 2008, 07:20 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Ladies and gents, the GTX 280 is FOLDING!!!

Check out this thread for more details as I try to figure out this BETA client:

GTX 280 Now Folding for HCF
Old June 16, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I saw a review on GTX 280 folding and it is the fastest GPU folder by far.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 16, 2008, 10:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

SkyMtL i just want to say it was an awesome review to read thankyou for bringing it to us buut pleaseee i dont know if you can when your comparing the 260 model could you please compare the 8800GT with it as well as many of us folks have the 8800GT and i for one would loooove to see how much of a difference the two cards give i know the cards offer much different things but if its noot too difficult because there are a lot of us with 8800gt's and it be nice to see a cheaper card now compared to this monster btww the 8800gt can now be bought as low as 109 at ncix has rebate btw.
Again Skymtl good review cheers bro!

Lol i for one aint gettin this any time soon ive seen the price of my 8800gt fall from 279 which i paid for in early jan to 109 now lol gulp to mee thats a lot budget gamer.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old June 17, 2008, 12:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

First and foremost...
Sky to you for writing an excellent and easy to understand review for us not so tech savvy people out there it was very informative and well laid out as with all the reviews here at HWC, I was hooked from beginning to end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashock View Post
SkyMtL i just want to say it was an awesome review to read thankyou for bringing it to us buut pleaseee i dont know if you can when your comparing the 260 model could you please compare the 8800GT with it as well as many of us folks have the 8800GT and i for one would loooove to see how much of a difference the two cards give i know the cards offer much different things but if its noot too difficult because there are a lot of us with 8800gt's and it be nice to see a cheaper card now compared to this monster btww the 8800gt can now be bought as low as 109 at ncix has rebate btw.
Again Skymtl good review cheers bro

Lol i for one aint gettin this any time soon ive seen the price of my 8800gt fall from 279 which i paid for in early jan to 109 now lol gulp to mee thats a lot budget gamer.

If its any consolation I have 2 rather expensive 8800GT which cost me in the range of $279 each, while the price has fallen to near rock bottom I don't feel the least bit ashamed for buying them we all get caught up in the consumerism that is computers and I bought what was popular and offered the best bang for my buck. I am just as interested as you to see the new video cards upon their release but I am not itching to purchase anything new when I have 2 very capable cards in my computer at this time, alternatively its probably the best time to think about picking up a secound one for a SLI configuration since they are so dirt cheap.

EE
Old June 17, 2008, 12:53 AM
Top Prospect

you guys are all forgetting that this card will spank the gx2 at minimum frame rates which are just as important to look at. also, the need for sli support with the gx2. i would gladly pay the extra $200 for this over the gx2 if i had the money.

that said i would never actually buy this card. apparently it will only be on the market about 3 months before they do a die shrink to 55nm. also, the new ati cards may not be faster but they will KILL the nvidia cards in price/performance.

nvidia is not making a lot of money on these new cards as their yields are terrible. in fact, i'm sure they make more money on a 9800gtx then they do on the 260gtx and possibly the 280.

skymtl, great review as always. i'd love to see minimum frame rates in your future graphs as i have a 24" monitor and will likely be pushing native res with high aa levels.

i can't wait to see these new ati cards. when is the nda up on them?
2 x Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum
2 x WD1500ADFD RAID 0
4 x WD5000AAKS RAID 0+1
Tt Armor Aluminum Tower
Enermax Galaxy 1000W DXX
DELL 2405FPW, 1905FPW
Old June 17, 2008, 11:30 AM
Rookie

My 2 cents:

I started the review round up with Anandtechs and came full circle back to Hardware Canucks. Its interesting to see that really a pair of 8800gt (s) in many cases pulled ahead of this new wonder from nVidia. and yet a lot of sites didn't bother to benchmark them. Buthonestly at less then $149 a piece @ some etailers, added to the installed base; this seems to be a big competitor to this card. Especially considering the price differential. I find it somewhat interesting that neither AMD or nVidia has simply MCM'd 2 of their chips to get around the latencies etc imposed by crossfire or SLI (x2 3870 being the closest to this solution). Also, and probably more importantly, this GT280 seems rushed out by nVidia in the sense that they should have waited for 55nm. Their yields musn't be great, and the heat and power req's are pretty bad.

So, why rush? Hopefully this indicative of the way AMD has managed to fix the rv670 architecture. Seeing as how I think this sort of confirms that even tho AMD is said to have given up on the Halo Product war... The 48xx series is going to be very fast. In fact, if we look at the various reviews (where crossfire isn't savagely broken) the x2-3870 holds up to the 260 quite nicely, it sort of bodes well for a 4850 or 4870 taking the gt260 apart, and perhaps an x2-48xx setup taking down the gt280.

Again, just imho; I've always felt that something just wasn't quite right with r600, somewhat less unright with rv670... but essentially that something was broken. They mention AA is fixed and more with the new lineup of cards... If so, i think we'll see what the past few iterations of AMDs unified shader cards should have been.

Also a side note. Why do no sites seem to remember that AMD / ATI had General Purpose GPU server boards before nVidia, and that CTM (close to metal) was out before nVidia's CUDA? To me the r600 was designed with caveats to be the stream processing board as much as a gpu. As such it took some penalties to get there (AMD not having the resources to do a specialized product for each). It seems to me that gt280 is somewhat in the same boat. A lot of the optimizations are more suited to the useage in Tesla, then what games are screaming for. (not for financial reasons obviously). But we've been folding on the AMD cards for a while, and now we can fold on 38xxs as well, and with the new firestream release... I'd assume we could fold on 48xxs pretty soon as well. In fact, I think the firestream is actually more powerful then the gt280 in double precision, maybe single precision... Too bad we really have no way of benchmarking it yet.

But... in reality the Gt280 is not a revolution by any stretch. Its simply akin to adding more subcores to a cell. Its evolutionary, and aside from some work at the sub 'core' level, it is all about adding more cores to a gpgpu, not much more then that. It is funny tho, that in some ways... AMD is taking the intel approach to gpus while nvidia is taking the AMD approach. Multiple discrete cores for AMD, Massive Monolithic core for nVidia. Which for a cash strapped ocmpany like AMD is the smarter way, if they can keep the crossfire improvements up, and make it easier for developers to take advantage of. Or even better to simply abstract the discrete cores from the API, and allow a hardware solution to divy the work so that developers don't have to optimize squat.

Either way, I await official trustworthy 48xx benchmarks with baited breath. Hopefully with the fixes in, the war is on again. If not, well at least AMD can apply pricing pressure to 90% of nvidias lineup once more... and nvidias bad yield 280s (260s) won't get to sell for much more then $200-250.