Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2008, 10:02 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Any insight on future Crossfire compatibility...?

Hey guys, I'll be getting a 22" / 24" LCD pretty soon (to replace my 4:3 19") so I figure I'll need more power to play my favorites games at high resolutions...

Question is:
Anybody know if, using an X38 / X48 motherboard, we will be able to crossfire HD3870s with HD4870s ?

I'd really like to know, before I shell out for a new mobo. Ideally, I'd like to go X48 (DFI LP or Rampage Formula) and crossfire my HD3870 with one of ATI's new summer offerings... seeing how well crossfire scales compared to SLI.

PS. I'll be upgrading cpu's too, no need to recommend that upgrade

Old June 6, 2008, 12:47 PM
MVP
F@H

I've been told no, by random internet people.

But my fingers are also crossed for a yes.

Just wait, a couple more weeks and you will have your answer.
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870
Old June 6, 2008, 09:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You might want to have a look at this http://www.ncix.com/go-intel-ocz-promo-q208
I've ordered the X38/OCZ3P13334GK bundle using CrossfireX and a QX9650 for a customers build (he bought the 2 HD 3870 x2's I had listed) only problem is they are back ordered until next wk so it'll be a couple of wks before I get it built and tested...but man I love a challenge..lol...everything "reads" like it should work and the price is right

Oh yeah, I'm going to Quad SLI my rig and I'm hoping to compare Quad SLI vs CrossfireX if the timing works out. I'll report on it if happens, hopefully the timing will work in my favour, maybe I'll lie just a little and tell him his rig isn't quite finished..lol

Last edited by kruzn4evr; June 6, 2008 at 09:54 PM.