Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old May 18, 2018, 01:01 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 21
Default 1080 running hot on idle!

Hi,

I owe MSI 1080 Gaming X+ installed among with Ryzen 1600 in Phanteks Eclipse P400s case (with added vent holes in the front). For a long time idle temps of CPU/GPU were about 30/35, but since last week it's 30/55 - GPU temp went up.

I scanned PC for viruses/malware - found nothing.
GPU were cleanded with compressed air.
PC checked for mining processes etc - found nothing.
Sensor is OK, same temp in CAM soft and GPUZ.
Ambient temp is preety the same.

I can say nothing has changed in comparison to the past.

What can I check to find out the origin of the problem?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old May 18, 2018, 01:45 AM
KaptCrunch's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,787
Default

summer has arrived, warmer ambient = higher temp

is still in warranty ? if not reapply thermal paste

55c max is good for GPU not to worry
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old May 18, 2018, 03:01 AM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 17,258

My System Specs

Default

Check to see if there's a load on the card. If there is, it's possible you've either got a nasty that's not being caught by your AV or you've got a software bug of some form that's using GPU cycles.
__________________
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WiFi AC) / i7 8700K / 2X 8G XPG Spectrix D40 (3000) / XFX XTR 750 / ASUS Strix GTX 1070ti
AZZA Titan 240 / Custom WC / Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD / Intel 760p 512GB NVMe / Seagate Barracuda 1TB / ASUS SWIFT PG279Q

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old May 18, 2018, 04:12 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
summer has arrived, warmer ambient = higher temp

is still in warranty ? if not reapply thermal paste

55c max is good for GPU not to worry
OK, ambient temp has increased but it's still around 22-24 inside (2 more than during Winter). Unfortunately, still under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Check to see if there's a load on the card. If there is, it's possible you've either got a nasty that's not being caught by your AV or you've got a software bug of some form that's using GPU cycles.
There is no load - that's the problem :)

Is there any soft that shows processes loading GPU? like process explorer in Windows?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old May 18, 2018, 04:35 AM
Lysrin's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,037

My System Specs

Default

I believe Process Explorer can be configured to monitor the GPU. Have a look here https://superuser.com/questions/1118...s-is-using-gpu

Also check and see what your Power Management setting is in the NVIDIA control panel, not the Windows options. With my ASUS 1080 Ti I had an interesting combination of driver and settings that would cause my GPU not to clock down when idle. Kept it running at around 35-45C or so. You didn't mention whether or not you updated the driver. I would recommend doing a driver update and make sure you select custom and clean installation. And then make sure the NVIDIA control panel has the power option set to Optimal (going from memory here... think that is the option). That made a difference in my case, the combo update, and brought my GPU down to sensible idle behaviour.
__________________
i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (Swiftech H240-X) | ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi | 32GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix, EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC | Crucial M4 256GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB, Seagate 500GB (x2) | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Corsair 650D | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old May 18, 2018, 06:13 AM
Bond007's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Down under
Posts: 4,451

My System Specs

Default

yeah I it has to be either 1) GPU has some random load on it 2) GPU is not throttling/downclocking correctly - driver or a load on it 3) heatsink/thermal paste has shifted/lost good contact
__________________
Desktop: Arc Midi R2, Z77-D3H, 3570K 1.09v/4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, XFX R9 280X DD, Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old May 18, 2018, 08:12 AM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,592

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikutix84 View Post
OK, ambient temp has increased but it's still around 22-24 inside (2 more than during Winter). Unfortunately, still under warranty.



There is no load - that's the problem :)

Is there any soft that shows processes loading GPU? like process explorer in Windows?
Not sure if you are running windows 10, but if you are on build 1709 or 1803 then it shows GPU load in task manager. Just open it up and go to the performance tab.

Couple of things, you might want to look at, are the fans on the MSI still working? Use MSI afterburner to see fan speeds and adjust it if need be. Also before getting to deep into everything I would redo the driver, there could be an issue there with the card not stepping down. Also have you checked for dust on the card? Is it getting enough air? Etc.

One other thing, you say it has been like this since last week, did windows update? Cause if you are on Windows 10 then it might have gone to 1803 and botched something up.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old May 18, 2018, 10:13 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 21
Default

It's really weird. I monitored clocks/load in GPUZ. It goes to 139/101 avg. load is 3%. I disabled some things from startup (onedrive, adobe updater etc.). Now it's ~48-50 C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Not sure if you are running windows 10, but if you are on build 1709 or 1803 then it shows GPU load in task manager. Just open it up and go to the performance tab.

Couple of things, you might want to look at, are the fans on the MSI still working? Use MSI afterburner to see fan speeds and adjust it if need be. Also before getting to deep into everything I would redo the driver, there could be an issue there with the card not stepping down. Also have you checked for dust on the card? Is it getting enough air? Etc.

One other thing, you say it has been like this since last week, did windows update? Cause if you are on Windows 10 then it might have gone to 1803 and botched something up.
It's 1803 - found it. Fans starting when temp reaches 60C. Nvidia drivers updated to be sure they are up to date. Card is cleaned :) I will try with afterburner.

edit: I set fan curve. Now it starts at 30C, temp reduced. The question is why it was better w/o fan started...

Last edited by kikutix84; May 19, 2018 at 01:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASUS 1080 Ti Strix - high idle clocks - concern? Lysrin Troubleshooting 28 February 14, 2018 12:31 AM
MSI Gaming X+ 1080 or Gigabyte AORUS 1080 (11Gbps)? JohnRezo Video Cards 3 November 10, 2017 03:19 PM
GTX 1080 boost clock stuck at low speeds after pc has been idle some time. sew333 Video Cards 20 August 9, 2016 10:13 AM
67C on GPU. 35C on CPU @ Idle consid3r Troubleshooting 2 April 1, 2010 10:56 AM