Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2017, 09:27 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default AMD RX Vega 64 & Vega 56 Performance Review COMMENT THREAD

This is the first time in 9 years that I have been late for a major GPU launch.....but it was worth it I think.

Read all about it here: AMD RX Vega 64 & Vega 56 Performance Review

I still have to fill in the commentaries below the charts but for now, I'm going to take a nap. Haven't slept in something like 30 hours....
Old August 14, 2017, 09:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Anandtech says that Newegg's stock of Vega, including all the Radeon Packs, sold in under 15 mins!
Old August 14, 2017, 09:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Graphs say "vega32" instead of the 56.

That is more or less what I've expected. While catching up Intel on the CPU architecture front, AMD has still a way to go with their graphics department. :(
Old August 14, 2017, 09:58 AM

The charts have been updated. For the record, Newegg had less than 20 cards according to our contacts.
Old August 14, 2017, 10:01 AM

Oh, and my Vega64 is trending to 37MH/s. Seems like AMD may not be selling many of these to miners....
Old August 14, 2017, 10:37 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Great review as always SKYMTL. The Vega 56 does make a compelling choice for a new video card especially if you want want great performance at 1440p. Still happy with my GTX 1070 purchase though.I prefer that level of performance with less power usage and heat. Still, i hope these card see well for AMD so they can bring more competition to the markets.
Old August 14, 2017, 12:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the detailed review Sky.

As I expected, the Vega 56 is the most compelling card giving us "near" 1080 performance for less money and "only" 70 odd more peak power usage. Typical AMD though, to release the card without any OC capability out of the gate. I think with the slightly smaller die of the 56 would probably OC without massive power usage rise, but time will tell. I won't be committing funds to it until we find out how well it over/undervolts and OCs, and even though I WC pretty much everything, will still wait for third party cooled cards to arrive before deciding.

I think they need to take a page out of nVidia's book and start to segment their cards differently between compute and gaming. This whole brute force approach isn't really working miracles for their performance-per-watt as nVidia found out many gens ago. Especially considering the added cost of HBM2, these large monolithic dies must be relatively expensive to manufacture.

Alternatively if the Vega 56 is priced well enough in Canada to offset that electricity cost, then it might be AMD's saving grace for this generation. At least it does provide noticeable speed increase over Polaris, though, as you said, that's taking it in a vacuum versus viewing it within the competitive landscape.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old August 14, 2017, 01:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

After a quick glance through a few reviews, I think, I'll be passing on a Vega 56. AIB cards will (presumably) be cooler and quieter, but the power consumption numbers will still be abysmal. This might not have bothered me as much only a few months ago, but the cost of whatever card I buy next will be partial offset by mining.

Even worse news is Nvidia's next-gen Volta gaming GPUs aren't arriving anytime soon | PC Gamer Looks like I might have to decide between a GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti now (as a 1070 isn't enough of an upgrade).
Old August 14, 2017, 02:23 PM
MVP

So the 56 is the better price/performance card as previous leaks have shown and the 64 is the 1080 competitors. I can't say that this is surprising since I didn't believe the "hype" about it being a 1080Ti killer. I expected it to compete with the 1080 and it seems to do so well in certain scenarios and situations. In others it even exceeds 1080 performance but still lacking compared to the 1080Ti. If AMD can price both the 56 and 64 even more competitively I'm sure more would consider the 56/64 over a 1070 or 1080. There is also discussion that certain major features are still disabled such as primitive shaders, hbcc, and others. I'm sure as the drivers mature and as features are enabled performance will become better and allow it to compete better. It's up to AMD to price it more effectively though.
Old August 14, 2017, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Oh, and my Vega64 is trending to 37 MH/s. Seems like AMD may not be selling many of these to miners....
Yes but that is because AMD wants to direct them to gamers first. Rumors are that Vega64 is capable of 70-100 MH/s, but those optimizations, if introduced will hurt the gaming capabilities. Or miners will choose to use once again modded drivers like the Omega red drivers in the past, is just a question of time. So it looks like either gaming or mining, but most probably we'll see a later driver optimized for mining. And from Jensen Huang's statement, me I would understand that we might see gtx 2000 series coming out soon, only with increased speeds and probably on a smaller fabrication node, just to cement their position as market leader in the GPU sector. And as they already have Volta, when AMD will start the rumors for Navi, they will throw gaming Volta on the market, just to shame AMD once again.
The truth is that in order to get a good GPU design you need to invest heavily in R&D and pay heavily as well those engineers and AMD did probably the best they could in their cash strapped situation, (from the Bulldozer misadventure), they focused most of their resources on getting the CPU game up first and get a competitive solution to market. Now, when they'll get more cash, from the Zen products, GPU R&D can be funded better, which will lead to competitive GPU designs. Personally, I think that only Navi's successor will beat whatever Nvidia will have on the market at that time.
AMD is fighting hard uphill on two fronts, in the same time, against two well entrenched adversaries and is not easy. They will succeed, I am sure, but it might take some time.