Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2017, 07:31 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default AMD Reveals RX Vega Price, Performance & Specs (COMMENT THREAD)

AMD has finally revealed almost everything there is to know about RX Vega including its pricing, performance and specifications. Is it a disappointment or everything we were hoping for?

Read more here: AMD Reveals RX Vega Price, Performance & Specs

*THUNK*

Old July 30, 2017, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Is it a disappointment or everything we were hoping for?
IMO it is a disappointment.

I dunno it seems like Nvidia and AMD are no longer in competition, not really. Nvidia could drop Volta and crush Vega. AMD no longer has the money or time to compete and it is sad to me. On the other hand Nvidia has all the money and time. I do not blame them for it at all, they are doing what they should I think. I mean I happy that AMD will get something to market but Vega is not going to help AMD unfortuately. AMD needs something they can sell in volume and make some money on...
Old July 30, 2017, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hmm interesting rebate scheme. Think it's worth it?
Old July 30, 2017, 11:43 PM
Top Prospect

Any details on the how the rebate will actually operate? Is it at a retailer level also meaning you have to buy all components at the same retailer at once? Other regions ($200 US = $200 CAD or ?)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Hmm interesting rebate scheme. Think it's worth it?
Will probably need to factor in what type of shopper you are and if you want those specific bundled components.

The place/time you want to buy a graphics card may not be the same as the CPU/Motherboard and monitor due to prices/availability/specific component.

That monitor on pcpartpicker is listed at $1500 CAD here in Canada compared to $800 US (in the US). At that price range it isn't the type of monitor I'd consider.
Old July 31, 2017, 05:05 AM

Right now it seems like AMD is handling the rebates directly at participating retailers. Here is the full text that was sent to us (which still doesn't highlight the fact that you have to pay a $100 premium for the card to receive up to $300 off):

We designed the Radeon Packs to make it easier for people to upgrade to an enthusiast gaming experience. We believe that there are many gamers out there who are in need of a system-wide upgrade: they want a VRR-capable, high resolution, high refresh monitor, and a performant, enthusiast-class CPU and motherboard combination for a truly high-end gaming platform. This is the perfect time to leave those older 1080p monitors behind and join in on a buttery-smooth, ultrawide gaming journey, playing all the latest and future games in their fullest glory.

Built around the new Radeon RX Vega graphics cards, Radeon Packs are designed to put all of those technologies at gamers’ fingertips, allowing them to make these upgrades much more cost-effectively than were they to buy each component alone. Radeon Packs include a $200 discount on the 34” Samsung CF791 curved ultrawide FreeSync monitor, and a $100 discount on select Ryzen™ 7 processors and X370 motherboard combos -- $300 in combined hardware savings. We're also throwing in $120 worth of new games (titles vary by region) which every purchaser of a Radeon Pack will receive.

These discounts are applied at the time of purchase, and gamers can take or leave pieces as they see fit. So if you already have a great system and just want RX Vega, a new monitor and the games, you can do that. If you only want RX Vega and the free games, you can do that too. For those that want it all, we're giving gamers $300 in discounts off of bleeding-edge components that will transform their system into a dream machine.
Old July 31, 2017, 05:42 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I think if anyone were looking to get a new build, this might become a possible option for them. That's quite an expensive monitor, even with the discount.

Even with all the rebates, this is still a let down for me. I was really hoping that we'd get back to having to choose between 2 flagship cards. Unfortunately, the competition isn't there yet.
Old July 31, 2017, 06:29 AM

It's obvious that AMD is dropping further and further behind in the GPU market. As it stands, there's just no way Vega can achieve 1080 Ti levels of performance at its current power consumption levels.

People have to remember that to have a competitive mid-tier solution the ultra high end has to be efficient with those power savings trickling down into lower price points. Its no doubt great to see some GTX 1080 competition but 14 months later and consuming 100W more just isn't going to cut it since that will cause challenges with cadence throughout the remainder of the lineup.

Eber recorded all of the sessions on a voice recorder and during the one where Vega specs and relative performance were announced you could hear a few press folks saying "oh no" and "that's it?". Then during the Q&A session someone came right out and said: "You've been telling us about this for a year now and this is it? How do we explain these numbers to our readers when a GTX 1080 has been around this whole time?".

I think the largest insult added to this is directed right at the press ourselves. We have Threadripper -a brand new, exciting, ultra high end lineup from AMD- launching on August 10th. The reviews are going live on that day and will take a good long time to analyze, write, etc. THEN, after a bloody year of waiting they want us to flip around during that weekend and have an RX Vega review published on the morning of the 14th. Sorry I'm ranting but that just makes no sense and folks at the presentation voiced it quite loudly.
Old July 31, 2017, 06:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
How do we explain these numbers to our readers when a GTX 1080 has been around this whole time?".

I think the largest insult added to this is directed right at the press ourselves. We have Threadripper -a brand new, exciting, ultra high end lineup from AMD- launching on August 10th. The reviews are going live on that day and will take a good long time to analyze, write, etc. THEN, after a bloody year of waiting they want us to flip around during that weekend and have an RX Vega review published on the morning of the 14th. Sorry I'm ranting but that just makes no sense and folks at the presentation voiced it quite loudly.
It makes perfect sense if your goal is to limit in depth analysis on launch day..................

I'll wait to see street pricing. If it can give me 1070+ performance at a lower price point it would still be worth considering.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old July 31, 2017, 06:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Is it a disappointment or everything we were hoping for?
Of course it is. But is it a surprise? Not at all. AMD are masters at over hyping stuff for long months just to land a disappointment later on. Benchmarks and relative performance have leaked for quite a while now, and as Linus noted, the Frontier edition has told us the whole story. I couldn't care less about the TDP, but the architecture is so much behind Nvidia it's ridiculous. Sad story. I really wanted to replace my 290Xs with Vega.
Old July 31, 2017, 07:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLeMko View Post
Unfortunately, the competition isn't there yet.
Competition is there, just not at the highest level. Now all that is left to say, is, wait for Navi!