Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 4, 2016, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, i have seen two sources meddling with undervolting the card and both reported improved performance and stability. Wccftech and Legit Reviews. It seems the stock vddc of 1.13-1.15V can be safely lowered to 1.05 which results in maintaining boost clock for longer and reduces power in the double digits range. Longer periods of maintained boost clock offers some additional 3-4% performance in some games and benchmarks, but not all.
Old July 4, 2016, 03:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Well, i have seen two sources meddling with undervolting the card and both reported improved performance and stability. Wccftech and Legit Reviews. It seems the stock vddc of 1.13-1.15V can be safely lowered to 1.05 which results in maintaining boost clock for longer and reduces power in the double digits range. Longer periods of maintained boost clock offers some additional 3-4% performance in some games and benchmarks, but not all.
This is going to be key.... I'm guessing they were looking at total power draw as opposed to specifically power over the slot. If the power distribution is designed the way that's been suggested (hard wired split) then lowering the card's core voltage might only lower the power drawn from the 6 pin and have no effect on the PCIe slot power draw.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old July 5, 2016, 09:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

this might be a little off topic and might seem to be a silly question , in this case is a reference video card a videa card made by AMD and a non reference card made buy an after market company like XFX? I ask becasue I was reading some where that the problem the card drawing from to much from the PCIe is from the Reference video cards
Old July 5, 2016, 09:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
this might be a little off topic and might seem to be a silly question , in this case is a reference video card a videa card made by AMD and a non reference card made buy an after market company like XFX? I ask becasue I was reading some where that the problem the card drawing from to much from the PCIe is from the Reference video cards
No, all currently available cards are reference models no matter what manu sticker has been applied. When they refer to non-reference cards it's one that has been re-engineered by the manufacturers and has a different PCB and hardware layout than the stock reference card.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old July 5, 2016, 09:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
No, all currently available cards are reference models no matter what manu sticker has been applied. When they refer to non-reference cards it's one that has been re-engineered by the manufacturers and has a different PCB and hardware layout than the stock reference card.
Aw ok that6 makes more sense.
Old July 26, 2016, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have seen a review on Tech Powerup for the Strix RX480 and i was less then impressed. Reworked VRM, 8pin connector and 3 huge fans were not able to push the gpu not even 100MHz over the factory clock of 1266. Kinda lame for a reworked design. Weird thing is this card is not even present on Asus website.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...RIX_OC/26.html
Old July 29, 2016, 10:57 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
I have seen a review on Tech Powerup for the Strix RX480 and i was less then impressed. Reworked VRM, 8pin connector and 3 huge fans were not able to push the gpu not even 100MHz over the factory clock of 1266. Kinda lame for a reworked design. Weird thing is this card is not even present on Asus website.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...RIX_OC/26.html
Thats because tpu's wizzard does not even know to overclock or is acting as if he does not know. He did it with stock power limit when the card is already power limited .

https://www.computerbase.de/2016-07/...-strix-test/2/
Old July 29, 2016, 11:40 AM
MVP

Quote:
Reminds me of 290x's (some not all) some would crash easily if you bumped the power but if you left it or dropped it slightly you could OC them alot higher.

It threw alot of us in my Bench crew for a loop for a bit because this kind of thing had never been the case before.

I will say extreme ocing was limited with those cards so most of those cards ended up being sold as used in classifieds.
2500k @ 4.7GHz -Guest PC
3570K @ 4.5 -HTPC
MSI GT70-2OC/770m-998/4800MHz -Laptop
SF101 HW BOT
Crossfired [email protected]/1500mhz-EKWB (Main)|[email protected]/1850 (HTPC)
MSI 970GTX (Guest) ||[email protected]/2000 (work)
Old July 29, 2016, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It doesn't help that a lot of manufacturers were using increased voltages in their Bios. People hated on AMD for high power consumption on Hawaii (and even late Tahiti) cards but it wasn't even their fault. Talking like 0.2V increase at stock clocks.

I'm tempted to grab a RX480 to play with but none of these designs seem appealing yet. Thank goodness no crazy complaints about coil whine. That would have been another nail in the coffin.
Old August 22, 2016, 06:25 PM
Top Prospect

Default No latest gen Nividia?

Would have been nice to see this stacked up against the later gen Nvidia cards, whether they would have dominated the 480 or not.

Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities. - Voltaire

There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages.- Ruth Hurmence Green

There is not enough love and kindness in the world to give any of it away to imaginary beings. - Friedrich Nietzsche