Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2016, 10:11 AM
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern88 View Post
Place in Halifax wants a gouging $399 for the RX 480. But they have a sale of $379

MysteryByte Computers - Halifax, Nova Scotia - 902.453.2983
Most the local computer stores here know they can charge more as there is no real large competitor other than Best Buy and a lot of people don't go there to buy computer parts.
Old June 29, 2016, 10:21 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Fast, efficient and well priced, AMD's RX480 8GB is looking to dominate the mid-range. It may only cost just $239 but the RX480's performance strives to compete against NVIDIA's GTX 970.

Read more here: The Radeon RX480 8GB Performance Review
Sky,

Can you please do some extended testing on power consumption. Tom's Hardware is claiming the card exceeds the 150W limit under heavy load, pulling the extra from the PCIe connector. If this is indeed the case then are lower end motherboards (or ALL as it's out of spec for PCIe) without a robust power delivery system at risk?
Old June 29, 2016, 10:25 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Holy meh batman.
Never have I ever seen a product launch with so much who cares. Can barely even hit 60 fps at 1080p in most games. VR ready, nope. Talk about under delivering on a massive die shrink.
WTF happened at AMD? "We are no where near delivering in 14nm". Big suit yells, "I don't care, give then something, ANYTHING"!

Edit: Geez man, seriously. Wtf is wrong at AMD? Why can they not compete? Lose hundreds of millions of dollars a year, or hey, steal some top talent, pay them a bazillion to fix their shit? GPU and CPU. Seems to me like they are running blind and have been for quite a while now. We need the competition too, other wise nVidia and Intel are going to bend us over a barrel.

Reminds me of a Mark Twain quote:
"My business failed two ways, gradually and then suddenly".

Last edited by Squeetard; June 29, 2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old June 29, 2016, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Informational review sounds like the next card I am going to buy, the thing is though I have two monitors and both are HDMI so is there an adapter for the displayport to HDMI or would this create a problem?
Old June 29, 2016, 11:30 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
Agreed. But still perf/watt is a major problem as Rx 480 draws close to GTX 1070 power but the GTX 1070 is 40-50% faster.
Performance per watt is only relevant when you have a product that competes directly with one another. The RX 480 doesn't compete directly with the 1070 and the 1080. Besides those are high-end parts and the RX 480 is a mid-end part and as such it competes with previous generation high-end parts not Pascal (but rather Maxwell). See the following:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/25.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/26.html

Quote:
Even if we assume a 1280 sp GP106 with 192 bit memory bus it should easily beat GTX 970 and probably match GTX 980 while drawing 100w power. The Rx 480 is drawing above 160w power and in fact tomshardware are saying it is overdrawing from PCI-E mainboard slot (very risky thing to do)
The GP106 (GTX 1060) hasn't materialized yet and probably won't till late July or August at the earliest. In the meantime the RX480 is already available and in stock and in very high demand due to it's ~$100-300 price bracket and price/performance. Besides that would put the GP106 at similar performance as the RX480 and still be subject to poor yields of Pascal. As for the PCI-E coming from the ATX24 that's why motherboard have usually additional auxiliary power connectors (molex or sata power or pci-e 6pin) ever since the days of EVGA X58 motherboards.

Quote:
The overclocked Rx 480 cards are going to come with 6 pin + 6 pin and 6 pin + 8 pin versions. Power consumption is going to rocket especially since GF 14LPP has now been proven to be inferior to TSMC 16FF+.
GF14LPP is a joint process that also includes Globalfoundries and Samsung. I don't see any evidence where 14nm FinFET Globalfoundry/Samsung is inferior to TSMC's 16nm FinFET process used by Nvidia. Infact Globalfoundry/Samsung were the first to FinFET then came TSMC.

Samsung Announces Mass Production of 2nd Generation 14-Nanometer FinFET Logic Process Technology – Samsung Newsroom

Quote:
Samsung’s new 14nm LPP process delivers up to 15 percent higher speed and 15 percent less power consumption over the previous 14nm LPE process through improvements in transistor structure and process optimization. In addition, use of fully-depleted FinFET transistors brings enhanced manufacturing capabilities to overcome scaling limitations.
Quote:
Yield issues with Pascal are just rumours.
No they aren't. There is serious supply issues with Pascal including both the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080. Retailers are resorting to limiting cards and they sell out very quickly. Even comparing photos of how much stock retailers had (example OcUK supply of 1080) compared to the RX480 speaks about yield and supply issues. Demand isn't helping the situation either.

Quote:
Nvidia are dominating now. We have to see if AMD can recover market share.
Nvidia is not dominating. With the RX480 demand and price/performance for the ~$100-300 market segment Nvidia has nothing to compete against the RX480 and that's a sizeable market share (~85% according to AMD)

Quote:
launch day performance and first impressions are crucial to long term success. Maxwell is the best example.
Launch day drivers are never perfect. It will take time to optimize and mature the drivers which may take months as it is currently in a BETA stage. For example look at the R9 290/290X drivers and maturity that the drivers eventually reached.

Quote:
Supply seems to be good. But there is no competition yet. We have to see how Polaris sells after GP106 launches.
I doubt TSMC will fix yield issues within a month or a bit more. That takes months upon months (ex. 6700K yields)

Quote:
Sorry but comparing with 290X/390X is useless. Those were power monsters. AMD's competition is going to be GP106 which will be much more efficient.
Comparing the RX480 to the R9 290X/390X is not useless. The GP106 hasn't been released and the closest AMD competition to the 480 is the 290X/390X. The 480 is the R9 290X/390X without the heat and power consumption of those older Hawaii parts.
Old June 29, 2016, 11:31 AM
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Holy meh batman.

Edit: Geez man, seriously. Wtf is wrong at AMD? Why can they not compete? Lose hundreds of millions of dollars a year, or hey, steal some top talent, pay them a bazillion to fix their shit? GPU and CPU. Seems to me like they are running blind and have been for quite a while now. We need the competition too, other wise nVidia and Intel are going to bend us over a barrel.
Honestly, one of the large problems is middle management over there, well the excessive amount of management layers too.

There also lacks clear cut responsibilities during R&D software side of 'whose team is truly responsible' for an issue.
Old June 29, 2016, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If these were a bit quicker and cheaper, Id almost certainly dump my 295x2 and get one of these. Lack of games supporting xfire has been my biggest gripe so far. Followed by the heat spewed out of this thing.
Old June 29, 2016, 11:36 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I can not tell you what the internal issues are, but anyone on the outside looking in can see there are.
Another failed generation product, guess we'll have to lose money just to undercut the superior competition. And they did not even try this time.
Old June 29, 2016, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I can not tell you what the internal issues are, but anyone on the outside looking in can see there are.
Another failed generation product, guess we'll have to lose money just to undercut the superior competition. And they did not even try this time.
OK Squeetard, I must be missing something here. The HWC review gave it a Conclusion titled "New High Water Mark" and a Damn Good Value award. The other reviews I have seen (small sample, but still) are saying things like the RX480 puts AMD in a good position for the mainstream market (AnandTech) and best budget graphics card (Ars Technica). Even Tom's Hardware review conclusion seems generally favourable saying that they appreciate that AMD has achieved "the combination of smaller, faster, cooler and quieter, all for less money".

So what is missing in your mind that makes it a failed generation product? What were you expecting at this price point? Yeah it's going to be more expensive in Canada but that isn't AMD's fault.

EDIT: I think looking at more benchmarks it would be a nice boost for people trying to run 1440p who currently have a GTX 960 or similar. However, once again you would have to recommend continue to wait until we see what the 1060 can do. The 1070 certainly has a large margin of performance over the RX480 and there is enough room in that margin for the 1060 to beat it. Unfortunately NVIDIA doesn't have to be a tonne faster with the 1060, just a little faster at a similar price and the RX480 could become a hard choice again.

Last edited by Lysrin; June 29, 2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old June 29, 2016, 12:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

GTX 1070 for me. I need something that is more competent at 1440p. I know the RX 480 is main stream. I just wish AMD didn't leave use enthusiasts in a rock and hard place for GPU upgrades. My HD7950 needs to be replaced badly.