Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 20, 2008, 04:14 PM
Rookie

Default Next-gen NVIDIA GeForce Specifications Unveiled!

Quote:
NVIDIA's upcoming Summer 2008 lineup gets some additional details

Later this week NVIDIA will enact an embargo on its upcoming next-generation graphics core, codenamed D10U. The launch schedule of this processor, verified by DailyTech, claims the GPU will make its debut as two separate graphics cards, currently named GeForce GTX 280 (D10U-30) and GeForce GTX 260 (D10U-20).

The GTX 280 enables all features of the D10U processor; the GTX 260 version will consist of a significantly cut-down version of the same GPU. The D10U-30 will enable all 240 unified stream processors designed into the processor. NVIDIA documentation claims these second-generation unified shaders perform 50 percent better than the shaders found on the D9 cards released earlier this year.

The main difference between the two new GeForce GTX variants revolves around the number of shaders and memory bus width. Most importantly, NVIDIA disables 48 stream processors on the GTX 260. GTX 280 ships with a 512-bit memory bus capable of supporting 1GB GDDR3 memory; the GTX 260 alternative has a 448-bit bus with support for 896MB.

GTX 280 and 260 add virtually all of the same features as GeForce 9800GTX: PCIe 2.0, OpenGL 2.1, SLI and PureVideoHD. The company also claims both cards will support two SLI-risers for 3-way SLI support.

Unlike the upcoming AMD Radeon 4000 series, currently scheduled to launch in early June, the D10U chipset does not support DirectX extentions above 10.0. Next-generation Radeon will also ship with GDDR5 while the June GeForce refresh is confined to just GDDR3.

The GTX series is NVIDIA's first attempt at incorporating the PhysX stream engine into the D10U shader engine. The press decks currently do not shed a lot of information on this support, and the company will likely not elaborate on this before the June 18 launch date.

After NVIDIA purchased PhysX developer AGEIA in February 2008, the company announced all CUDA-enabled processors would support PhysX. NVIDIA has not delivered on this promise yet, though D10U will support CUDA, and therefore PhysX, right out of the gate.

NVIDIA's documentation does not list an estimated street price for the new cards.
Original: DailyTech - Next-gen NVIDIA GeForce Specifications Unveiled
-Patriot 2x1gb @ 1000mhz cas5
-Evga 8800GTS 320mb
-Antec Neo HE 500 modular PSU
-Coolermaster hyper6 hs/f
-x-fi xtreme music
-Acer 22" wide LCD 5ms
Old May 20, 2008, 04:52 PM
Top Prospect

wow that is very interesting, Im curiouse if nvidia is going in the right direction.
BFG nvidia 8800 GTS 512 MB G92 core
Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU fan
Ultra X-Blaster computer case
P5K-E Wifi edition MOBO
G15 keyboard and G7 mouse
22 inch widescreen samsung
Z5300e speaker system
3Dmark06 score 15K
Old May 20, 2008, 05:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i might be testing one in a few weeks let see how it pans out for me will let u guys know
Old May 20, 2008, 06:20 PM
Rookie

Nice, I will be looking forward to reading your review. With those specs..They could throw my 8800GTS320 out of the water!

- 96sp vs 192sp
- 448bit vs 320bit
- 320mb vs 896mb
- 50% faster shaders

*Jaw Drops*
-Patriot 2x1gb @ 1000mhz cas5
-Evga 8800GTS 320mb
-Antec Neo HE 500 modular PSU
-Coolermaster hyper6 hs/f
-x-fi xtreme music
-Acer 22" wide LCD 5ms
Old May 20, 2008, 07:01 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

And so it begins....
Old May 20, 2008, 07:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

Hmmmm, that’s a pretty quick integration of the PhysX stuff,
I hope we don’t get any 1st gen problems.
Maybe they have been working with Ageia long before the buyout.
Hmmmmm……
Old May 21, 2008, 06:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

from some of the specs it seems like it. will be getting shipment in with my new board n stuff later this week or early next. kets see wat i get . i took a few of ur advices n got a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L with my E8400
Old May 21, 2008, 07:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
Hmmmm, that’s a pretty quick integration of the PhysX stuff,
I hope we don’t get any 1st gen problems.
Maybe they have been working with Ageia long before the buyout.
Hmmmmm……
At some point we have to suck it up and deal with first gen problems in all hardware. There's always some form of issue, no way to avoid it. I guess I'd be more willing to put the card through the real world ringer than wait for them to work it out in the lab - especially because things will happen faster if they push it sooner rather than later.

I'm looking forward to these cards, if not only to see what direction it takes 3d gaming in the future.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old May 21, 2008, 08:12 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
At some point we have to suck it up and deal with first gen problems in all hardware. There's always some form of issue, no way to avoid it.
Can you refresh my memory? What was the issue with the G80 cards? IMO, that was a VERY successful piece of silicon right from the start without many issues which eventually morphed into the G92.

If anything, it will be the driver and actual game support which is lacking.
Old May 21, 2008, 08:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

yeah i was talkin to someone from Nivia, they said they are focusing on the game play application of the drivers to develop a smoother transition based one grpahics itself vs fps. he lost me but i guess if they are making it a smilpular but advance stage in gaming development it might be Very impressive. Hopefully i get the new cards so i can realli push some of the future highend games. i just need a sweet Lcd monitor now to test.