Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   The NVIDIA GTX 1070 Founders Edition Review (Comment Thread) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/72690-nvidia-gtx-1070-founders-edition-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL May 29, 2016 02:40 PM

The NVIDIA GTX 1070 Founders Edition Review (Comment Thread)
 
NVIDIA's Pascal architecture is making its way over to a more affordable $450 price point with the GTX 1070 Founders Edition with much of the GTX 1080's performance intact.

Read more here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...70-review.html


NOTE: Have to redo a lot of the writing on this one due to a storage failure. If you follow us on Twitter you know what I'm talking about.... :sad:

Caldezar May 29, 2016 02:45 PM

Bam! T - 15 minutes...

SKYMTL May 29, 2016 03:31 PM

Its up!

Horrible launch time by NVIDIA. Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. Wow....

yycraven May 29, 2016 03:44 PM

So SKY do you think the GPC can be enanled, since one is completely disabled.

I think this card is the better way to go for the price of $585.86 CAD.
Wonder if there going to be sold out like the 1080.

Do you have pics.

Lysrin May 29, 2016 03:49 PM

Whew-eee! That is a pretty sweet looking offering. That seems to make the 1080 really only relevant for folks who have really deep pockets or just must have the most powerful card. 1070 seems like a win indeed. Remind me again what we are thinking for Canadian pricing? We're looking at about $585 to $600ish plus tax? Still big money but more attainable than over $1000 for sure given its strong performance.

Thanks for getting that review out over the weekend! Great work. Will be interested to see the overclocking results in this case to see how much of the gap it can close to the 1080.

Edit: current CAD conversion is as above post says. Beat me to the punch :biggrin:

sweenytodd May 29, 2016 04:32 PM

Sounds like a $599 CAD Founder's Ed card on release, $549 for the custom cooler cards like ACXs.

poohbear May 29, 2016 05:04 PM

It's a very impressive card, and an excellent review! I especially like how you pointed out the previous pricepoints of previous GTX X70 cards. I didn't realize the GTX 670 was released @ $399 4 years ago! nvidia is actually releasing it at a little cheaper price point and not price gouging like alot of people are complaining across tech forums.

lets see how it sells though. I'm thinking alot of people might consider it overkill since 92% game @ 1080p or less (according to Steam's latest numbers).

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 823711)
Its up!

Horrible launch time by NVIDIA. Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. Wow....

its to coincide with Computex in Taiwan, which starts Monday morning (Sunday evening EST). Maybe they want to steal a little thunder from AMD's imminent Polaris announcement?

sswilson May 29, 2016 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poohbear (Post 823719)
It's a very impressive card, and an excellent review! I especially like how you pointed out the previous pricepoints of previous GTX X70 cards. I didn't realize the GTX 670 was released @ $399 4 years ago! nvidia is actually releasing it at a little cheaper price point and not price gouging like alot of people are complaining across tech forums.

lets see how it sells though. I'm thinking alot of people might consider it overkill since 92% game @ 1080p or less (according to Steam's latest numbers).



its to coincide with Computex in Taiwan, which starts Monday morning (Sunday evening EST). Maybe they want to steal a little thunder from AMD's imminent Polaris announcement?

You're looking at the wrong card for comparison.... the most recent comparison would be the 970 which had an MSRP of $329. This is $120 more which is a fairly hefty price creep even without factoring in the current exchange rate.

Bad enough enthusiast grade cards are north of $500, now the second/third tier (this is really a third tier card based on 970/980/980ti) cards are well north of it.

SKYMTL May 29, 2016 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poohbear (Post 823719)
It's a very impressive card, and an excellent review! I especially like how you pointed out the previous pricepoints of previous GTX X70 cards. I didn't realize the GTX 670 was released @ $399 4 years ago! nvidia is actually releasing it at a little cheaper price point and not price gouging like alot of people are complaining across tech forums.

lets see how it sells though. I'm thinking alot of people might consider it overkill since 92% game @ 1080p or less (according to Steam's latest numbers).



its to coincide with Computex in Taiwan, which starts Monday morning (Sunday evening EST). Maybe they want to steal a little thunder from AMD's imminent Polaris announcement?

Polaris is < $299. It won't compete against current Pascal offerings.

poohbear May 29, 2016 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 823721)
You're looking at the wrong card for comparison.... the most recent comparison would be the 970 which had an MSRP of $329. This is $120 more which is a fairly hefty price creep even without factoring in the current exchange rate.

Bad enough enthusiast grade cards are north of $500, now the second/third tier (this is really a third tier card based on 970/980/980ti) cards are well north of it.

uhm, no. The GTX 970 was an anomaly @ $329, the other GTX X70 cards averaged $350-$399. You can't pick the only x70 card priced lower and say that's what the typical price is. Check it out:

GTX 470 GTX 570 GTX 670 GTX 770 GTX 970 GTX 1070
$349 $349 $399 $399 $329 $379

Now, which price is an anomaly?

Remember, the GTX 670 was released 4 years ago and the GTX 470 6 years ago! With inflation @ 2% a year, $350 in 2010 is $392 in 2016.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:15 PM.