Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30, 2016, 05:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thank you for the review. I'm curious to see the actual pricing on the partner designed ones. This seems to be a pretty solid upgrade from my 980 Poseidon and should be plenty to drive my X34.

Looking forward to see the overclocking results!
Old May 30, 2016, 06:17 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
It is a graphical representation rather than reality. Remember that these cores are the ones that couldn't pass muster for either having all their SMs enabled or running at the GTX 1080's stated clock speeds or a combination of both.

If there are "faulty" SMs after fabrication, they could be located anywhere on the die and in any pattern. However, that situation is a rare one.
Thanks. It was more intellectual curiosity. So units are still being disabled at the SM level?

I'm guessing then GTX 1070 is like GTX 780 in that some units may have differing GPC counts? I believe back then it was stated that it didn't make a difference in performance. Even though it seems like you lose some units (eg. Raster Engines).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Getting tired of people comparing the launch prices (usd) to current value vs CAD... saying a card costs over 500 is non-sense just because your currency took a nose-dive.
It will recover with oil prices and prices will come down.
Until then you either have to find a way to mitigate the difference or earn more or stop tempting yourself with tech you can't currently afford or justify in your local currency.
It isn't just that CAD devalued but USD has risen greatly in the last two years.

USD against a basket of other major currencies has risen 19% over the last two years. Against CAD is has risen about 24% has of today. USD rise is actually weighing on US exports.

GPUs are at least still progressing relatively greatly to offset what happened but if you look at CPUs, Haswell->Skylake was arguably a regression in performance/price for a lot of non US markets.

Also the markets have not fully priced in a possible Fed rate increase in June or July. So if that does happen prepare for USD to increase again and tech prices outside the US.
Old May 30, 2016, 06:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Historically, prices on PC components have either dropped from generation to the next or at the very least have stayed stable while offering a much better bang for buck.
Which the 1070 beats everything else currently available from 970 up.. LTT did a $/perf chart and simply because it costs less than what else is available and goes faster with more ram and features. Look at those dx12 results vs 980.. and the price vs whats available now. (course that will probably change once supplies of various cards fill out)

If people wait for the line-ups to fill out (2-3 months) they can then decide if they want to wait for the other new releases as I'm sure a 1080Ti will be due for Aug / Sept, especially if AMD release anything powerful or are about to or if they are happy with a 1070 strix or ftw or whatever. At the moment we only have last gen cards to compare...
That would give them the best platform to make a decision from and also have a great card until the next cycle of upgrades at least

Though it does sound like sky is having a few issues getting great stable clocks.. Wondering if this will be a less clockable chip or if he is just having a random issue/silicon lottery.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"

Last edited by Dzzope; May 30, 2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old May 30, 2016, 07:27 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

OC Section is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitedaccess View Post
Thanks. It was more intellectual curiosity. So units are still being disabled at the SM level?

I'm guessing then GTX 1070 is like GTX 780 in that some units may have differing GPC counts? I believe back then it was stated that it didn't make a difference in performance. Even though it seems like you lose some units (eg. Raster Engines).
With Pascal the GPCs themselves are completely decoupled from the ROPs, L2 cache and memory controllers. However, due to crossbar revisions within the Gigathread engine, load balancing is nearly seamless regardless of how many GPCs there. So as you said, the performance difference between four GPCs each with one SM disabled versus three GPCs will be non-existent.
Old May 30, 2016, 09:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post
Thank you for the review. I'm curious to see the actual pricing on the partner designed ones. This seems to be a pretty solid upgrade from my 980 Poseidon and should be plenty to drive my X34.

Looking forward to see the overclocking results!
Agreed. Looking forward to this too! Looks like the 1070 would be a great option for running slightly less than 4K like the 1440p ultras. Oh... they're up!
Old May 30, 2016, 10:38 AM
Trial Member

Default 1070 in SLI ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
NVIDIA's Pascal architecture is making its way over to a more affordable $450 price point with the GTX 1070 Founders Edition with much of the GTX 1080's performance intact.

Read more here: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Review

NOTE: Have to redo a lot of the writing on this one due to a storage failure. If you follow us on Twitter you know what I'm talking about....
Thanks for the review. I was wondering how would 1070 perform in SLI? Is this something that can deliver 60FPS 4k gaming at a much lower cost?
Old May 30, 2016, 11:12 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomfury2 View Post
Thanks for the review. I was wondering how would 1070 perform in SLI? Is this something that can deliver 60FPS 4k gaming at a much lower cost?
From a scaling perspective I think two of these in SLI would be an awesome solution provided you can actually find two for sale once they hit the shelves.
Old May 30, 2016, 01:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Does anybody think the AMD Polaris RX 480 will come close to the GTX 1070? I know no one really knows. But I just love speculation lol
Old May 30, 2016, 01:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern88 View Post
Does anybody think the AMD Polaris RX 480 will come close to the GTX 1070? I know no one really knows. But I just love speculation lol
I think they will release something similar but a little bit less performant. But, I also think they'll do this for much less giving them a clear advantage for low budget builds.

That being said, I'm a team green guy and I'll probably go for a 1070 STRIX once it's out. Unless my rig bottlenecks elsewhere.

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work

Last edited by Mayoo; May 30, 2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old May 30, 2016, 02:11 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayoo View Post
I think they will release something similar but a little bit less performant. But, I also think they'll do this for much less giving them a clear advantage for low budget builds.

That being said, I'm a team green guy and I'll probably go for a 1070 STRIX once it's out. Unless my rig bottlenecks elsewhere.
I was thinking 1070 STRIX, but sounds like they might come in a little steep. I have never been an enthusiast level buyer but 'a little extra for gaming' range since the 3dfx add-on cards. $300 is fun, $400-500 is a 'purchase decision'.